Author Topic: Excalibur  (Read 3978 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Excalibur
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:15 am »
Disappointed today my Excalibur 21 clapped out again rite in the middle of my busy season, I am beginning to think these saws are not as good as they are supposed to be, this is the 3rd time it has let me down in just over 2 years and for the price of these machines I think they should last longer than this, these are my thoughts , what do you members of the forum think
Jimbo

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
Re: Excalibur
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:21:34 am »
I have an Excalibur 16" and have had no problems with it. What went bad on your machine? Is it the same problem you had with the other breakdowns?

Cheers,
Gadois
If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:41:01 am »
Jim, I've had mine for over 10 years and bought it as a reconditioned model.  It has only had 2 problems in those years and I used to cut all day long.  (I don't have to make a living with it anymore)  I would buy another one immediately if this one died.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:42:55 am »
Have had an ex 16 for about a year cuts great but has had lots of problems most seem to be fixed now for the price of it i expected something better would not  buy another will save my money and buy a Hawk

Dean A

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:18:14 am »
Boy, just when I finally decided what saw I'm getting next. Now I need to reconsider?

Hows Seyco's service? Do they help you out with your problems?

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:32 am »
Just my 2 cents....  The Hegner (18") I have been using for the past 5 years and before that my Brother used it for 12 years.  There has never been any problems.
Maybe thats why they cost so much.  Anyway....  Never owned a EX....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:51:01 am »
No problem with seyco just didn't think i should have had problems

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:15:48 pm »
Here's the problem as I see it. Years ago when the DeWalt saw came out, everyone had to have it. Thousands and thousands were sold. What that means is if a small percentage of them are defective, and we here about it, it makes it look like they are all defective. Well, the same thing is happening with the Excalibur saw. They are now the second most popular saw, which means there are thousands of these saws around the world. In this age where we hear about it as soon as it happens, it's so easy to get discouraged.
A couple of years ago, I decided I needed a new saw. After years and year of heavy use, my DeWalt saw was worn out. Knowing the deficiencies of this saw, I decided to try out the EX 21. Although this saw had many of the same features as the DeWalt and had some other attractive features, I decided to go with another DeWalt 788. Nothing against the Excalibur, I just though since I was so familiar with the DeWalt I would stick with it. And for the most part I am still happy with it (even though I have a new saw now, but thats another story).
So if you are looking for a new saw, go for it. The DeWalt has a 30 day replacement or return policy. If you are looking to get an Excalibur, go with a proven dealer like Seyco in the U.S. or Axminster in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:17:46 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »
The first problem I had was a main bearing go, the next was the variable speed control, now it is the linkages [I think] the biggest problem the dealers are 700km away and it has to be freighted and they are not the cleverest at repairing, they now have an agent where I live so I took it out to them yesterday and now will have to wait for them to call me
I would buy another one of the popular saws but they are not available in NZ,As you say Dan there are always duds but for what they charge for these saws [$1300nz] I paid it should give better service that it has, I have only had it for 2 1/2 years
Jimbo

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 12:39:17 am »
My Ex21 as not given me any trouble as such but between my DeWalt and the Ex if I had to buy another one I would go with the DeWalt.  I hate the blade changing clamps on the Ex and my arms are too short to adjust the tension (no short jokes please) and I hated the fact that there was a couple of adjustments that had to be made as soon as I got it home.  Surely it should be ready to go as soon as you get it out of the box. I would never encourage anyone to get an Ex.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:12:19 am »
Thanks Marg for your input if Dewalt wasn't such a snob it would sell there saws world wide, the market is an open book in NZ and in OZ, there is hundreds of sales to be had, there is scrollers waiting for this machine to be on sale in both countries
Jimbo

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 04:34:14 am »
Yes Jumbo I agree with you. I got my DeWalt about 8 years ago but not long after I got it you could not find one for love nor money.  Pity really because they have a really good  blade clamp system and the blower is good too, the cheaper models don't have very good blowers.  Anyway that my extra  :D 2cents worth.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

canadasgall

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 05:19:49 am »
i've had my ex-21 for 7 years i did have to change the switch but thats the only problem i ever had. i never tried a dewalt so i can not compair but from my experience i wouldn't be shy to buy anouther excalibur

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 06:32:24 am »
Marg, My EX does not have that rear adjustment knob.  Just the tensioner on the front.  I've heard good and bad about having the rear tensioner.  I thought you were supposed to set it and pretty much leave it alone unless there needed to be a slight adjustment.  Is there a slide adjuster on the front of the one you have?

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »
According to the distributor in NZ you are supposed to slacken off the rear tension knob then reset after changing a blade, his theory is it stops the links and rods from breaking, dosn't sound rite to me plus I don't have time to do that every time I replace a blade
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi