Author Topic: Bamboo Pad  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
Bamboo Pad
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:53 am »
I have a question...I keep hearing things about a bamboo pad. Just exactly what is it and its purpose?
I am thinking maybe it is to have better control of the cursor. Would it help in tracing?  Haven't found a dealer here who can tell me.

Very confused...Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Bamboo Pad
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:41:23 am »
They are made by Wacom and are in essence "pen mice".  Instead of the round 'brick' mouse, you use a pen and it tracks on a pad.  I have been using one since about 1997 and I wouldn't be without one!  

When drawing, it utilizes fine motor control that you use when writing instead of gross motor control you use when pushing a mouse on a desktop with your entire hand and arm.

I don't use the Bamboo particularly, but I use the Intuos3, which is also made by Wacom.  There are many features on both, I believe that you can set.  They are available at Staples (at least here in Canada) and I can find them online too.  If you go to the link:

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php?gclid=CKKGxJK4z6ECFRBx5Qod0G_NKQ

That link is for the Wacom site and you can look into it a bit more. They also have a 3 minute video showing you the features of the Bamboo.  It takes a little bit of time and patience to get used to it, but once you do, you will never want to go back to a regular mouse again!  (PS - many models come with a regular mouse, which makes the transition easy so you can use the mouse for other stuff and the pen for drawing)  Let me know how you did.

Sheila
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:43:25 am by scrollgirl »
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

cherie

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
I need to buy a a new one so I can learn to do patterns.  I like the feel of the pen instead of the mouse.  I have an older Wacom tablet, but it is not compatible with Windows 7.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:38 pm »
I just got a bamboo fun pad and it's neat and all...but I still don't have a clue how Jeff Zaffino and Mike Williams make patterns with it. (Wacom in general)

daneklund

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:24 am »
I got a Wacom Intuos 3 last year and have just started "playing" with it.  I think it will be great once I get accustomed to it and the settings.  I understand they have a wireless model now too.

mouse

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:24:24 am »
I have the Wacom pen and touch. I think Sheila summed up a tablet perfectly.They are so much easier to draw with than a mouse.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 02:46:26 am »
 ;)For years I use the graphics tablet wacom, especially when I'm doing various patterns to give explanations on my site. But I still use my old and good little mouse to work on my computer. The plans I make for my scribing is done with PhotoShop, it's so much easier when you know good software! ...

I use it often to create models of scribing at their base and I then resumed with PhotoShop.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:50:02 am by cloetpatrick »

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:37:07 am »
I want to thank ALL of you for your replies on the tablet. I got on thier site, but not sure which model is best, so I am going to try some of thier tutorials before I decide.  I do a lot of designing for my sons custom printing business and it requires a lot of freehand and also tracing.  I slow my mouse down when I use, but was hoping there is something better out there.  I use Inkscape and Adobe photoshop.

Again, thanks for the comments, this is the greatest site!!!

Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »
WOW, I like it!  I didn't even know such a device existed. 
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:54:51 am »
Well I just ordered one off ebay for $49.00 plus $5.95 S&H.  The next question will become what software does everyone use (with it) for pattern creation?  Please, please, please, something easy to learn.
best regards,

Bud Prine

mouse

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:39:40 am »
Hi Bud,

Check out this forum  http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forum/
Look in the Village university forum, there are tutorials on inkscape and the one I use which is gimp.It looks complicated but is in fact about 3 simple processes and some freehand work.
Both are open scource and free.
Mick

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 06:54:08 am »
FYI the Bamboo Pad does not work well with Inkscape. At least I have had no luck. Works great with Photo Shop and Gimp.  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

mouse

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 07:41:49 am »
Must admit I haven't tried it with inkscape,I found the program far to difficult to use(for me).Have had no problems with Gimp.

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »
I expect the Bamboo Pad tomorrow.  I'll try it first with OpenOffice Draw.  I've been playing with that and it seems "learn-able for me". Best of all its FREE.  I like the other office suite programs from OpenOffice.org
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »
Well I got it.  It came well packed by Fedex Ground.
I loaded the enclosed CD which started right up and installed the software and tablet. The tablet is connected via a USB port. 
I used the tablet to open Mozilla Firefox my browser.  Then I logged onto this forum, all using the tablet.  I opened another window and opened OpenOffice.org "DRAW"  Was able to do some basic commands in DRAW.
Returned to this forum and am typing this review.  Everything seems to be working good here.  I think I'm going to like this device.
BTW, the mouse still works when I use it.  You can alternate which device but use only one at a time.

COOL
best regards,

Bud Prine

SMF

Teknoromi