Author Topic: Old?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Old?
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:48:46 am »
What do you remember from your earlier years? From the following list, count all the items that you remember personally from your own lifetime:
Mechanical typewriters
Diners with jukeboxes at the tables
Vending machines that dispensed bottles of soda
Beemans chewing gum
Telephones on party lines
Newsreels playing before your movie at the cinema
Beehive hair-dos
Candy cigarettes
Radios the size of modern day furniture
Brooklyn Dodgers
Howdy Doody
Sperry & Hutchinson Green Shield Stamps
45-RPM vinyls
Mimeograph paper
Blue camera flashbulbs
Diners Club credit card
The hobby of ant farming
Drive-in theaters
Studebaker automobiles
Sputnik I

If you remembered:

0-5 = Wish I were young as you
6-10 = Enjoying your golden years
11-15 = Better not say your age
16-20 = Those were the days!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

pddesertrat

Re: Old?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:53:46 am »
Remember every one of them and long for the good old days!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:22:27 am »
I remember all of them, but we have a lot now also.  I prefer to enjoy today rather than remember the past (besides the fact that my "rememberer" isn't all that great!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:11 am »
There were only a couple I don't remember but that is probably because I live in such a small town we didn't have them. Good to think of those thing and smile but more interesting is wondering what is coming next.
I'm from North Dakota

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:17:50 am »
I just remembered one that I never see mentioned.  Anyone remember when you use to buy margarine in a plastic bag, it had a little capsule inside with yellow coloring that you squeezed to pop, then kneaded the bag until the whole content was yellow?  I bet most people don't remember that one or most could afford butter instead.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:55:59 am »
I remember all of those things and a few more. But what truly amazes me is when I think of all the things that I do from day to day now that when I was 21 didn't even exist then.  :P
If someone had told me when I was 21 that I would be able to do certain things in the future that I take for granted now, I would have told them they were crazy.  ::)

Watch color TV
Change the channel from my easy chair
Have a hundred channels to watch on TV.
Carry a telephone in my pocket and call anyone in the world at any time I wanted to.
Post this message on a laptop computer, in my shop, that will be read by people all over the world.

At the age of 70, I just can't help but wonder WHAT'S NEXT!?!?!?  :o

Rog   
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:54:52 pm »
I remember all of those including the white margarine with yellow dye packet.  I do remember when some of those items were new.  I also remember living with no indoor plumbing or electricity.

Offline skip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:23:50 pm »
remember  them all   GOOD OLD DAYS

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:10 pm »
Plumbing? Indoors?

My dad, grandpa & I installed indoor plumbing for my grandma the summer before I graduated from High School, 1954!
They lived just off the corner of the St. Louis Airport and still lived like they did on the farm before grandpa became an aircraft mechanic for American Airlines in 1942.
Grandpa was too old for the big War...so he came to St. Louis from his home town, took classes and got his aircraft mechanic license.
While they lived close to the airport they took in boarders, Naval Aviation Cadets who were training at the base on the corner of the airport.
I still remember going out to visit with them and at bedtime grandma would put a 5 gallon bucket on the front porch so we 'guys' would not pee on her flowers during the night 'cause we were too lazy to walk out to the outhouse.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:59:41 am »
I remembered 12 some in England some in Australia.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

rob roy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:54:35 am »
remembered 16 GB, But I don't see a mention of the DC comics with the colored pages, which we used to get here in Scotland. From the good old U S of A. Great stuff. Take care GB
Rob Roy.

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:49 am »
WOW GB... I got a 99.9%!!!   I remember everything mentioned except, I don't remember NO ELECTRICITY in the house.  Was born in 1936 after electricity was discovered.heeheehee ::)
Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »
How about going to the dentist back then? My handprints are still embedded in the chair handles.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 12:46:11 pm »
I remember all of them  Yesterday was my 65th B'day so I'm officially an ol fart now.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

pddesertrat

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:20 pm »
How about going to the dentist back then? My handprints are still embedded in the chair handles.

Oh, I remember, "okay spit in the little bowl thing with swirling water".  I guess that's way I don't mind having my teeth worked on anymore.  It is so painless compared to to back then. 

SMF

Teknoromi