Author Topic: Lemon oil  (Read 985 times)

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
Lemon oil
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
I did a small project and dipped it in lemon oil for a few minutes and removed the excess oil.
Wondered how long to leave it to dry before I put a clear spray finnish on it.
Jim

msdameng

Re: Lemon oil
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:23:43 pm »
I generally wait 3 to 5 days depending on the humidity and temp.

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:41 pm »
Once I've thoroughly wiped the oil off the surface, then I'm ready to spray.  The lemon oil won't ever really dry.  You can check this yourself.  Dip a piece of scrap, wipe it down thoroughly, then place it on a piece of newspaper or paper towel or what ever you like.  Hours even days later, you can move it to a dry section of paper or towel, check it a little later and you'll see spots on the paper where the lemon oil has seeped out.  Simply put, just wipe it down thoroughly before you try to seal it.  Once it's properly sealed, you won't have any problems with it seeping.

Hope this helps

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »
I will often spray within minutes of dipping the project. I dip. Let it drip. Wipe off the oil on top. Then I use an air compressor to blow it dry to the touch. Like Mainewoods said it takes forever for it to dry completely and when it does the wood goes back to it's original look. I know it sounds odd but it works for me. The reason I started doing it this way was because I am always in a hurry to finish a project and get it posted on the blog. One day I just got in a hurry and sprayed it right after I wiped it down. To my surprise it did not make much difference to let it set over night.

SMF

Teknoromi