Author Topic: PLEASE HELP with mao shan scroll saw  (Read 6630 times)

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
PLEASE HELP with mao shan scroll saw
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:36:18 am »
so I've been using a crappy old mastercraft pin end scroll saw for years now. my cousin had this mao shan pinless scroll saw sitting in the corner of his shop for years that he had only used a couple times so he thought it would have a better home in my shop !!! whoooo hooooo....I looked up this scroll saw name and it appears a pretty good name that has made products for grizzly and a few other companies in the past...anyways....my problem is in the pinless blades and the clamps ...no matter what I do I cannot get the blades tight enough in the clamps to hold them...even when I take a pair of plyers to hold the clamp then reef on it with an alan key to tighten it it still wont tighten enough to hold the blades.....there must be something i'm doing wrong here..but I just can't figure it out...I was sooo excited to get this good heavy duty saw and I just am dying to start using it..but I need to get past this issue first lol...the saw itself is like 10 times the weight of my mastercraft and very well built of out cast iron! here is a few pics of it and the clamps that I just can't get tight enough.....please please help guys !! lol...

Bullfighter

Re: PLEASE HELP with mao shan scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »
Hi, it looks that you have the same problem that i have. Take a look at this thread and see if it could help you. stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=17221.0
Peter from Sweden.

Bullfighter

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »
Those clamps look like they are very similar to the Hegner scroll saw ones.
If I'm not mistaken the one in the photo is for the #7 and above blades for the smaller blades you wood need one for the #3 and below and one for the #5 to 7 blades.
I have a Hegner look-a-like saw and as I'm out for the rest of the day will post a photo of the blade clamps later.

***Merlin

Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 05:59:35 pm »
Have you contacted the manufacturer? http://www.maoshan.com/product1.aspx?cid=3&id=34. You may be able to get a user manual.

The clamp photos looks more like the Allen screw is to lock the piece to a round shaft rather than to hold a blade. Maybe a part is missing?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:18 pm »
Those clamps look like they are very similar to the Hegner scroll saw ones.
If I'm not mistaken the one in the photo is for the #7 and above blades for the smaller blades you wood need one for the #3 and below and one for the #5 to 7 blades.
I have a Hegner look-a-like saw and as I'm out for the rest of the day will post a photo of the blade clamps later.

***Merlin

are you saying that there are different clamps for different size blades?????/// o jeez...man you would need to have 4 or 5 different clamps that don't get lost..owweeee ...this might be a bit more difficult then I thought :(

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:09:52 pm »
Have you contacted the manufacturer? http://www.maoshan.com/product1.aspx?cid=3&id=34. You may be able to get a user manual.

The clamp photos looks more like the Allen screw is to lock the piece to a round shaft rather than to hold a blade. Maybe a part is missing?

I have the manual that came with it but it seems more of a assembly manual then anything...looks like those alan keys are indeed suppose to tighten the clamps..the arm on the saw has a kind of groove that the clamps sit in then the tensioinar tightens and the clamps get tightened by that

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:05:24 pm »
Notice that the gap between them is different, the the narrower the gap the thinner the blade.
The bottom one is for a size 5 blade and the top one is for 00 to 3 size (FD blades)
Hope that helps..........

***Merlin***
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:08:15 pm by Merlin »
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 11:22:14 pm »
Perhaps you could try a shim inserted into the clamps with the blade as a temporary test.

A tool and die maker could make a set of these very quickly and would know what type of
metal has to be used so it has some spring to it. Metal too hard would just snap after it has
been tightened a couple of times.

I also own a set of clamps that I have never seen anywhere else before which came with a
cheap, no-name scroll saw. I'll try to describe them as best I can.
Picture a round piece of a bolt about 3/8" in diameter and 1" long with the hex bolt end cut off.
Then a hole is drilled through the center of that shaft through the diameter. (Through the side of the bolt)
Now a hole is drilled through the center of the shaft from one end to the other.
This hole is tapped at each end to receive a set screw on each end. The set screw on one end
should be long enough to reach the center of the bolt and you can see it through the hole that was drilled through the diameter. The second set screw, when inserted in the opposite end will screw in and tighten against the first set screw. When you loosen it (mine are allen head), a gap is created into which you insert the blade and then tighten the set screw to pinch the blade between the two set screws.
Since your saw wuold hold pinned end blades, these clamps will rest exactly where the pins on a pinned end blade would set and are automatically centered because they are cylindrical.

A set of those could be made by a reasonably accomplished machinist. The set screws have to be reasonably flat on the ends to make a flat surface to pinch the blade in to tighten.

A newby called wildhorse also answered someone elses post with this link
http://www.pozsgaidesigns.com/page0007.htm
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:26:33 pm by spirithorse »

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 11:39:47 pm »
Most clamps have two surfaces that hold the blade.  One is the set screw that you tighten with the allen key wrench and there should be another one of the other side.  You might have to adjust the other one in a bit so that the pinch can hold the blade properly.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 06:10:51 pm »
Notice that the gap between them is different, the the narrower the gap the thinner the blade.
The bottom one is for a size 5 blade and the top one is for 00 to 3 size (FD blades)
Hope that helps..........

***Merlin***

well that makes sense now .. he gave me a couple extra clamps. and that's what we thought they were , were just a couple extras...man I feel like a complete dumbass with this machine lol...i'll have to check them out and see if the smaller sized clamps will fit the blades I have

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:09 pm »
is that how all the pinless scroll saws are? have multiple clamps for different size blades?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:04 am »
Actually, very few use that system.  Two flat set screws hold the blade.  One side stays stationary while the other has a knob to tighten up against it.

SMF

Teknoromi