Author Topic: Lemon oiled wood drying time  (Read 2484 times)

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
Lemon oiled wood drying time
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »
I want to apply lemon oil on a wood backer then use carpenters glue, and glue the cut out to it.
Is a few days of drying time for the lemon oil, enough time to glue on the cut out?
Hope this makes sense.
Jim

Offline kimb

• View Profile
Re: Lemon oiled wood drying time
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:41:57 pm »
Jim, the lemon oil never really dries so the yellow glue won't stick to it. You would need to seal it with spray laquer or what ever you choose, then you would have to use super glue or epoxy because the yellow glue won't stick to the laquer either. If your cut out is wood you could glue it first while you have bare wood to wood and then apply the lemon oil. You still have to seal it when you're done because the lemon oil will continue to leak out over time. hope this helps.

Kim

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:42:19 am »
I agree with Kim.  I haven't used lemon oil, but I frequently use mineral oil to finish my scroll work.  I think it does a beautiful job at bringing out the beauty of the wood and is easy to apply and cost effective.  I either dip the piece or brush on the oil (depending on the size of the piece) and then I put it on a metal rack (the type you cool cookies on) to soak in for a bit.  If there is still oil on the surface after an hour  or so, I take a paper towel and wipe the excess.  I then leave it to "dry" overnight.  In the morning, it is drier to the touch and not greasy feeling. Then I use spray shellac to seal in the oil.  I use a couple of coats, allowing to dry in between.  Then I glue as needed.  

Most of the fretwork and pieces I glue don't take a lot of abuse, so this works out well.  I haven't had any bonds let go by using this method, although if they are frequently handled, you may need a different sealer or allow more time for the sealer to dry before gluing.  

I hope this helps you out.  It works for me and is a fast and inexpensive method to finish your work, as well as give it a beautiful finish.  I love the way the shellac looks over the oil.  Warm and rich.  

Good luck and let us know!  :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:07:41 pm »
Hi Sheila

What types of glue have you used that work over the shellac.
Also have you used laquer spray in the past.
Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:35:03 pm »
"Loctite" makes a Super Glue in 'gel' form that I have used almost exclusively and have never had a problem with things coming apart.
I use semi-gloss spray lacquer all the time. (Minwax, in the black spray can)

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:28:33 pm »
I just use LaPage white clear drying wood glue.  I just did a project today, which I used this process.  I oiled the pieces last night and sprayed them with shellac today.  After letting dry an hour or so, I began the gluing process.  I glued one of the wheels in the wrong place and only an hour or so after gluing, I really had to pry hard to get the pieces apart, almost breaking them.  The glue certainly held on the shellac. 

I have also used five minute two part epoxy over the shellac with good results.  ;)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

SMF

Teknoromi