Author Topic: Printing portrait patterns  (Read 2587 times)

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
Printing portrait patterns
« on: April 14, 2011, 12:01:14 am »
I was thinking about doing a portrait pattern and wondered how to print it if it is larger than 8.5x11''.
Will the printer print it in two pages?
Also are most patterns larger than that size?
Jim

Tako Kichi

Re: Printing portrait patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:24:50 am »
It depends on how much larger you want to go. Most home computer printers can handle 'Legal' paper which is 8.5" x 14". Most copy shops can easily enlarge a 'Letter' size document up to 'Ledger' size which is 11" x 17".

If you want to go even larger then the issue becomes more difficult. Some software applications will allow you to split a design into multiple pages which you can then print on a typical letter size (8.5" x 11") printer. Another alternative is to find a copy shop that can print engineering drawings on the large roll printers. They can usually take a design and print it out and then the only limitation is the width of the roll of paper.

I have an old wide-carriage dot matrix printer (14" wide) that uses the folded, tractor feed, paper. Back when I was designing large kites I would create the sail design in AutoCAD and then split it up to fit on the paper width and print. I would end up with several long runs of folded paper which I could then tape together until I had the templates the size I needed (some of which were many feet long by many feet wide).

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:42:57 am by Tako Kichi »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:44:10 am »
When I want to make something larger then one page I use powerpoint or open office draw. I make the image the size I want and position it differently on different pages. So the top might be on one page and the bottom on another.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:51:13 am »
I use PosteRazor  http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download&lang=english

I wanted a map of the USA and all I had was too small Posterazor enlarged it over 4 A4 pages... Great.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:25:04 am »
I use PosteRazor  http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download&lang=english

I wanted a map of the USA and all I had was too small Posterazor enlarged it over 4 A4 pages... Great.

***Merlin***

Ditto!  Plus, with PosteRazor, you can pick how much of an overlap between pages.  This makes lining up the multiple pages easier. 

Another factor to think about is the size/resolution of the original pattern.  If you have a vector graphics program (like Inkscape), you can enlarge significantly without losing definition and ending up with very jagged, hard to follow lines. 

Biggest bonus is that PosteRazor and Inkscape are free!!!

HTH (hope this helps)!   ;D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:10:04 am »
I use poster razor, also.  I rarely make portraits that fit on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet.  If you have the pattern in your computer, you can take it to many office stores like Kinkos, Office Max, Staples and they can enlarge it (bring it on a disc or thumb drive).  I found poster razor to be very effective and free.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »
Merlin, Thanks for the link to PosteRazor, just downloaded it and tried it out, it works great and is super simple to use.

Bob

Wildthang

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:59:04 pm »
Well I used to use Adobe Photoshop Elements. Which meant I open the photo I want in the program and crop it into overlapping sections, save each section and print them. Now that have read about a program that a some very talented people use, I am going to be looking into photorazor.

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »
I just downloaded Posterazor and took a look a it.
It looks like a great program and seems easy to use.
Thanks for the help.
Jim

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:09:39 am »
MS Publisher has the ability to print a poster over 9 sheets. It's easy, just go to file, page setup and on the layout tab select poster in the publication type box.
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:48:10 am »
I use Rapid Resizer which is designed to do exactly what you are looking for.  There is a free trial version on line at their website.  I really liked it so I searched online and found it at a discount, called the author and told him of my findings and he matched the price for me, so I downloaded it from him.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:34:47 am »

***Merlin***
Thanks for the link Mate, I saved it to favorites to look at later.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi