Author Topic: Small booklet - scrolling through wood and paper  (Read 5027 times)

Offline robroy865

• View Profile
    • Induku
Small booklet - scrolling through wood and paper
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
I made this gift for my mother-in-law. I stack cut three of the pictures and then used one for the book and cut her name through the paper and the back cover (the back cover is blank otherwise).

Reasonably happy how it turned out but see that paper needs new blades more often than wood.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Small booklet - scrolling through wood and paper
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:39:27 pm »
Looks great....I'm sure she'll love it!  I've never tried paper, but I had heard that blades need to be changed REALLY often.  This is how we learn, just try something and adjust from there.
Nancy from Washington state
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:38:21 pm »
Very different and very nice.
Gordie

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 05:51:02 pm »
That came out awesomely my friend.  I do have two questions for you what are / did you use to bind the paper together in the book? And what method did you use to hold it all together while scrolling the name through both the paper and the one cover side?  This has a serious cuteness factor that will sell.  If you were to take this to a store that sold things like this and folks saw them you would be hard pressed to keep them in stock I bet.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Marshall

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 09:44:48 pm »
Very good Job Here ! .... :D

Offline robroy865

• View Profile
    • Induku
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:44:41 am »
Thank you for all the positive comments.

DWSudekum - I bound the booklet with a small strip of leather at the top. I also used this on the botttom to keep the papers in place and once this notebook is used a new one can be substituted. To keep it toghether while scrolling I used tape (masking tape/painters tape). I wraped the paper stack in another piece of paper (wraped it cmpletely like a gift) and positioned it on the bottom cover. Then I taped it in place. I added the top cover, squared it up with the bottom cover and taped it to the bottom cover. I tried to ensure that everything was tight. I added the name, drilled the holes and scrolled it out.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:00:00 am »
Thank you for all the positive comments.

DWSudekum - I bound the booklet with a small strip of leather at the top. I also used this on the botttom to keep the papers in place and once this notebook is used a new one can be substituted. To keep it toghether while scrolling I used tape (masking tape/painters tape). I wraped the paper stack in another piece of paper (wraped it cmpletely like a gift) and positioned it on the bottom cover. Then I taped it in place. I added the top cover, squared it up with the bottom cover and taped it to the bottom cover. I tried to ensure that everything was tight. I added the name, drilled the holes and scrolled it out.

Thanks my friend.  I thank you for your explanation.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:03 am »
Wonderful work, very, very original and beautiful work, thanks for sharing.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 02:34:22 am »
What a marvelous idea.  Is there any chance we can see a photo of the back please.  I have always wanted to cut paper but never got around to it.  I think you are onto a winner there.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline robroy865

• View Profile
    • Induku
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:27:41 am »
Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the back before sending it to (and I will probably not see it again my mother in law lives 12000km away). However, I have 2 more front covers and will make 2 more booklets at some time and will take pictures of the back.

BUT I am currently doing something very similar for a A5 size notebook and are documenting the process and will post it on a blog with the link here once done. I will definitely take pictures of the back cover.

Some comments on the back. I need to be more patient when cutting and go even slower - especially with paper. This includes slowing down the scroll saw as the paper will heat up with little friction and turn brown (i.e. it burns very easily). This said there was only small discrepancies between the front and back and you needed to look for it. I have this wit most of the things I cut in stacks - especially when I am tired. Small strips of sandpaper however remedied any issues.

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 05:25:41 am »
Very nice job, thanks for sharing.
Pierre

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 01:57:01 pm »
Awesome work there, it's unique, and I'm sure your mother in law will love it. You say you will be making some more soon, any chance of some photo's of the work in progress please??

Keith.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline robroy865

• View Profile
    • Induku
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 04:41:38 pm »
Not exactly the current work in progress but are making this size book and will bind a bit differently...

This was my first attempt at scrolling letters and I am not exactly happy with the results. Also my first attempt at binding with a wooden cover. Learned much in the process and what not to do.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 11:45:55 pm »
Interesting work, your first posted work was excellent and I'm waiting to see more of this project.

I'm trying to figure out what chemical compound you have cut, it's not quite clear enough.  What is it and why did you select that particular compound?

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:01:24 am by jscott2 »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline robroy865

• View Profile
    • Induku
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 03:08:30 am »
The molecule cut is caffeine. I selected it since I like coffee :)

SMF

Teknoromi