Author Topic: what kind of drill press do you use?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
what kind of drill press do you use?
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:05 pm »
 i was wondering what the experts use on larger projects. i was considering a rikon 30-140. it's a bench top radial arm drill press that extends to almost 15" making it almost a 30" drill press. but the dog has to get fixed first.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: what kind of drill press do you use?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:55 pm »
I have a cute little harbor freight bench top model from 1984. It isn't big enough to reach the center of a 12" square, but it works.
I use my dremel with a plunge router base for hard to reach holes. It is cheaper then a big drill press and in my tiny shop I like having the extra space.
If you get a big one, I would love to hear about it.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »
Far from an expert but....I have a Craftsman 10", 5 speed 2/3 hp. benchtop. Works well for me.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »
I have a 12" Delta bench top drill press mounted on a cabinet with lots of storage space. I have never had a need for anything larger.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:38:10 pm »
I have an old bench model drill press that I got from Harbor freight. It was made in Taiwan and is heavy as heck. I bought it in the late 1970's and if I remember right, I paid around $70.00 for it. I have no idea of the brand name (the tag is gone) It has a 6" throat and has never failed me yet!
It does what I need it for and as far as I'm concerned, that is all that is required.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »
i got a master-craft floor model drill press.just because it went on sale at the same time i was going to get a bench top and it was about the same cost so i said what the hell just as well get the big one.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »
14 inch Delta woodworker's press
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:56:35 pm »
For scroll pilot holes I use a Proxxon (like a Dremel) mounted in a drill press stand. It has a swivel clamp for the motor but the up-down mechanism only moves vertically (if you tilt the head, you can't drill with it because the drill bit would hit the wood at an angle and break off). In the picture below there's a 20 degree wedge on the table under the drill head. When I make a new basket or bowl etc. that needs an angled pilot hole, I make the wedge by cutting a 2x4 through the center at that angle, then glue the two pieces together to make the wedge. There's also a lip on the bottom to square it to the table. This makes nice pilot holes and takes up a minimum space. And you can always pull the Proxxon out for handheld use if needed.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:35:55 pm »
I use a Dremmel with a router attatchment, then you are always drilling at 90deg to the wood and not restricted on size at all.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:46 pm »
I just bought this today, and it works good, just have to slide it around but get good straight holes, and is better than holding a heavy drill to repeat a bunch of holes and have your arm get tired. Just wish the springs were a little stiffer but thats a easy fix.

http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-drill-guide-95622.html

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:26:54 am »
I have an old Craftsman floor model, a Delta 12" benchtop with a bad switch that I can't find a replacement for and also a Dremel plunge router attachment that I keep close to the saw for those holes that got missed during prep.

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 12:13:01 pm »
I Have a Craftsman  5 speed 1/2 horse power, chuck is 1/2" and the table tilts 45 degrees. It is a Bench type model and I have never hade a problem with it.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Dave W

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:01 pm »
I have a 12" Delta bench top drill press mounted on a cabinet with lots of storage space. I have never had a need for anything larger.

I have the same press.  Does everything I need it to do.

SMF

Teknoromi