Author Topic: Ex 21 Table  (Read 2911 times)

pddesertrat

Ex 21 Table
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:07 pm »
I was out to dinner with my nephew and his family the other evening and was talking to his son.  His son is in high school and taking metal shop.  I asked him if he needed a project and if so, could he make me a bigger table for my scroll saw.  I described it to him and he thought it would be simple.  They have a CNC machine he loves to use. 

I made a pattern for him today,  I added 4" on each side and 3" in the front.  Anyone think of any problem with doing this? 

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Ex 21 Table
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »
sounds good to me. Note the mounting holes in the EX-21 plate are oversized so you can adjust the blade pass-through hole to center the blade. Can he add a plate warmer? This weather is tough on the wrists. You might need it with the exteded front.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:29:20 pm »
sounds good to me. Note the mounting holes in the EX-21 plate are oversized so you can adjust the blade pass-through hole to center the blade. Can he add a plate warmer? This weather is tough on the wrists. You might need it with the exteded front.

My shop is heated and I have gloves.

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:39:00 am »
No problem - I did four inches on the front and two inches on each side and love it.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Rover2

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:29 pm »
I think it will work just fine.  I was looking at mine the other day and was trying to figure out a way to add to mine, especially more table in front of the blade.  Might have to go the same route but take it to a metal shop to have it made.  It's on my "wish" list right now but will happen some day.  Good luck with your new project.

Al

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »
Might be worth a trip to the local high school, a trade school, or maybe junior college.  I just happen to mention it to my Nephew's son, and he said the students are always looking for projects.  He was excited to do it for me.  Cost is the piece of metal, and they get it at cost.  Coarse, he is a relative and a good kid, I may tip him a little.....

pddesertrat

Re: Ex 21 Table - BEST LAID PLANS OF MICE AND MEN
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:13:02 pm »
Well, dealing with young teenagers can be unpredictable..  When I emailed my great nephew that I had a pattern made and ready to give him, I was informed he was no longer interested it doing it.  He must be in love or something now! ::)  Well even though it has be a few, well, several, well many decades ago I still kinda remember what it was like as a teenager.  No hard feeling.

Thinking about it, I'm thinking of plan "B".  I have nice 3/4" piece of the stuff that is press board covered with smooth white stuff on one side (for the life of me I can not think of the name, starts with a "m" I think).  I used it to make my router table top.  Why not use it.  Cut out a place for the current metal table to be in-set it like I did for my router plate.  Have to figure how to attach it to the current table top.   A rabit  around it and the table screwed to it into imbedded T-nuts maybe.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »
The melamine may be too thick to allow you to use reverse tooth blades effectively.  The reverse teeth are just on the ends of a reverse tooth blade.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »
Paul

MFC Melamine faced chipboard, if I'm on the right track, and ye as dunk says it could restrict the reverse cut
Dave

pddesertrat

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »
The existing table top would be inset into the melamine on a rabbet so the melamine is flush with the existing steel top.  It would not change the thickness of the table top.  The melamine would surround the existing table top.  Same as a router plate set in a router table top that you hang a router from.   My only concern is how to attach the melamine to the existing table.  I kinda hate to drill more holes into the existing table but can't figure another way.  May some powerful earth magnets imbedded into the rabbet of the melamine...

Same
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:02:37 pm by pddesertrat »

SMF

Teknoromi