Author Topic: Sculpture  (Read 2924 times)

Ben

Sculpture
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:08 pm »
Hi, nothing really to brag about here just thought id show off my very first piece. I don't reckon its too bad for a beginner. its pine and Danish oil.  :)

agooday88

Re: Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:35:06 pm »
I like that.  It is unusual art.  You did a good job.  Are you planning on putting a finish on it?

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:09:13 pm »
thanks, its a Steve Good plan. I had a lot of trouble with cutting the template because all I had was cream coloured masking tape which hardly sticks to the wood. so I ended up spending about an hour hand sanding the inside sections. sorry its a bad picture but it has two coats of Danish oil on it. ill have to get some spray adhesive and clear packaging tape! Thanks again. I had some fun.

Ben

agooday88

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:47 pm »
Oh ok.. It still looks nice with the oil finish. YES packing tape and spray finish is a Must.  :)
 I bought a Dremel and I use a small sanding disc to sand the insides of my work. It is much easier then hand sanding.
 Or you can cut a small strip of sandpaper ( the length of a blade ) and 1/2 in wide.  Fold it in half, lengthwise. You put in it in your saw in place of a blade with the fold facing toward you.
It works great for sanding small things or inside of small areas. ( put your speed lower and don't tighten it as much or it will tear the paper)
 Just a few hints if you are interested, to help save your finger tips.
Have a blessed day!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:04 pm »
Very nice and unusual.  You did a great job on that.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:36:55 am »
Nice job. Now maybe try it again with a hardwood - there's quite a difference in the look and feel. A darker wood like walnut  or rosewood will make a nice contrast to your pine.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:16:39 am »
Thanks everyone. I did use a dremel for some of it and the sandpaper on the saw sounds pretty good but my saw only has little blade clamps (removable). If I upgrade saws or get a proper clamp ill try that one. as for wood I don't yet have any what call fancy woods. mostly pine and plywood. ill have a look a some timber yards around my area.

Also does anyone know of a decent plain end blade clamp that requires no tool change for around the $50 dollar mark. any help would be appreciated.

Ben

Offline gordster

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:03 am »
Very nice Ben, unique sculpture, will look good on a mantle
Gordie

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:17 am »
  try needle files. i use them on small areas. i got a set from HF. i got them on sale. they were
fairly cheap. termite

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 08:16:51 am »
Ben from my First look I felt this piece was Great.  You did a fine job of cutting it.  And finishing also.
Got to add to the part of SANDING etc. 
     Maybe its because I use a Hegner Scroll Saw, but my advice is from experience on
NOT HAVING SO MANY OF THEM ....LIL....FUZZIES...........
     Until I found my FAVORITE BLADE I was like all spending lots of time with the FINE SANDING.
Now....Very little and I mean Very, Very little time Sanding. 

Use the FD-UR #1 Blades....  Light sanding with 220 grit and using a medium bristle brush.  Just brush it off.
                           Well as my usual..............This is just my opinion........................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:24:02 am »
Great job - hard to believe it is your first.  With that as your first you will be doing some awesome work in the future so be sure to share it.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:47 am »
Wonderful work, looks great, thanks for sharing.

agooday88

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:57:46 am »
Thank u Termite...I never knew that files came that small.  I went to HF and they are between $4-$8. What a deal.  I am going to buy some of them. I think I will have more control with them then the sandpaper on the  saw trick.
 I learn something new every time I come on this forum.  :D

pddesertrat

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:14 am »
The tiny files are a great investment, and I use them in all kinds of woodworking.
Nothing wrong with your sculpture.  Nice work.

EdN

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:22:23 pm »
Use the FD-UR #1 Blades....  Light sanding with 220 grit and using a medium bristle brush.  Just brush it off.
                           Well as my usual..............This is just my opinion........................Danny  :+}

Excuse this newbie but is that blade a Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse tooth?  Just want to make sure. Thanks.
Ed

SMF

Teknoromi