Author Topic: NEED ADVICE ON BUYING A SCROLL SAW!!  (Read 7086 times)

Matthew Harper

NEED ADVICE ON BUYING A SCROLL SAW!!
« on: January 07, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »
I am 14 years old and have used a craftsman scroll saw for quite awhile, and overtime have started collecting money in general for woodworking. right now I have around 250$ saved (a lot of money to  someone my age). I have recently been thinking of buying a new scroll saw and I narrowed it down to the delta (400$) and dewalt (450$ on amazon). Since I don't have that much right now I plan to pay my parents back and let them purchase it (they are fine with this). Personally I like the look of the Dewalt, but have read that they are almost the exact same. Except that the delta arm lifts and stays up when changing blades, this is a nice feature and i personally don't want to have to buy an easy-lift system for the dewalt. So I am leaning towards the delta. Just wanted to ask some of the experts if I'm really losing much by going with the delta. I know Steve Good has the dewalt, Thanks in advance!

pddesertrat

Re: NEED ADVICE ON BUYING A SCROLL SAW!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:36:33 pm »
Matthew, I shouldn't answer because I know nothing about the Delta.  But, as far as holding the arm up on the DeWalt, for many years I got by using a block of wood to hold it up when needed.  You don't need to buy an Easy-lift although they are nice. 

Matthew Harper

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »
Thanks for the help, hopefully someone here will have experience with the delta or even both.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »
Had a delta for a short time the thing that holds the arm up is nice but unless you have really long arms it is kind of an inconvenience block of wood works better other than that it is same as dw788

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:14:51 pm »
For $250 I bought a used DeWalt a couple of years back now.  I got mine on Craigslist.  It wouldn't hurt to look at used while you are saving for new!  You might just find a great deal, but be patient - do your research.

Karl

Matthew Harper

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:07 pm »
thanks for the replies, I have checked on craigslist and the one dewalt that I did find wasn't local

Offline Donrob

• View Profile
    • Old Crow Scrollwerks
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:42:56 pm »
Matthew, I upgraded from a Craftsman to Delta a few years ago and currently have the 40 - 694 which I really like. The arm holdup feature works well for me. I have had a couple of mechanical problems but have had very good warranty service from Delta. It has a 6 year warranty. It is currently on sale at Amazon.com.
Good luck with whichever one you go with.
Don R
CUSTOM DESIGNED SCROLL SAW PATTERNS
www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com

Matthew Harper

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »
Thanks Don, I never expected this many replies! the craftsman that I have I bought from a garage sale for 15$ and it only accepts pinned blades, which has worked so far, but I am in need for an upgrade!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:06:15 pm »
The Dewalt 788 is a great saw however so is the Delta.  Personally I like the Dewalt slightly better.  While both have good features to them for me the fact that Dewalt has a Guaranteed Repair Price program should you ever need to have your saw repaired.  Either way you will notice a HUGE difference from the Craftsman to your new saw.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Matthew Harper

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:10:17 pm »
I also think the dewalt aesthetically looks better, but becuase of the price I am leaning towards delta, thanks -matt

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:38:22 pm »
You are doing great using the craftsman saw - you'll do even better with a new saw!

Keep saving!

Karl

Matthew Harper

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:09 pm »
thanks Carl, all of this support is really inspiring!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 06:32:15 am »
Both are excellent saws and a gigantic step up from your old Craftsman.  You will be amazed at how different your work becomes.  That being said, I have seen amazing work created on the crappiest saws.  Whatever you decide, it will be a big step up.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 08:46:47 am »
I have the DeWalt and ordered the easy lift but have never installed it as don't see the need for it.  So far, I have gotten by with just lifting it and holding while I insert the blade from the top.

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 10:01:03 am »
Matthew

I have the DW788 but from everything I understand the Dewalt and Delta saws are nearly identical.  With any saw you can have potential problems - sometimes out of the box and sometimes only after months or years of use.  Either saw should last you for a long time.  If you ever need service, packing a saw up and shipping is not an experience you want to have.  In your shoes I would probably make my decision based upon where my nearest service center was and hopefully one of them would have a service center within an hour of you.  If you have not done so, I also suggest you go on line and you should be able to find a manual for each of them which you can download and read and which should also contain warranty information.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

SMF

Teknoromi