Author Topic: Hello from a newbie with a question or two  (Read 4047 times)

Fast Ed

Hello from a newbie with a question or two
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »
Hi everyone, I've been wanting to get into scrolling but was waiting for a "deal" on a used Dewalt 788. I wanted one based on a lot of research from experienced scrollers and because it was in my price range and probable usage. I can't believe my luck but was able to get an almost new 788 with stand and utility light/magnifier for a whopping $275 on craigslist. The gentleman unfortunately had a major stroke and no longer could use the machine, he even gave me a bag full of Olsen blades of assorted sizes....

I am preparing to start my first fretwork project so I thought I would use the magnifier to better see my lines but I can't seem to get just "one" blade under the magnifier??? I always am seeing a double vision of the blade. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Also would anyone have a recommendation on brand names for spray on or other adhesive for placing designs over blue painters tape? Thanks again

pddesertrat

Re: Hello from a newbie with a question or two
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »
Fast Ed, Welcome to the forum!  Glad you are here.  I can't answer on the magnifying glass other than maybe there is an imperfection in the grinding of the glass.  I have one I bought from Harbor Freight for around $40 and have not had that problem.  I use mine all the time.

For adhesive I use 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive.  I do not use the painters tape anymore, I adhere directly to the wood and cover with packing tape.  Just a matter of preference. 

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:18:25 pm »
Welcome to the forumFast head
Pierre

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:26:44 pm »
Years ago, I had surgery on 1 eye.  Ended up with double vision, which is corrected by prisms in my regular eyeglasses.  However, double vision doesn't allow me to use the magnifier that you have.  I use this & like it much better.  It is never in the way for changing the blade or threading the blade into the wood.

http://www.seattlefindings.com/Bausch-Lomb-Magna-Visor-wLenses_p_295.html?origin=pla&unique_id=295&gdftrk=gdfV24081_a_7c2124_a_7c8825_a_7c29_d_523&gclid=CO7n0u60vMICFcxcMgodJRoAzQ

jerry

Fast Ed

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:12 am »
Thanks folks, I have a similar set of magnifiers to those B & L from my jewelry making days. What got me interested in scroll work was that my specialty in jewelry making was a process we called "piercing" which is basically fret work but with a hand held jewelers saw. And I'll be getting some 3M adhesive, thanks for the info....

mlwmerk

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:37:57 am »
I like to use the blue painters tape applied directly to the wood and then apply the pattern with spray adhesive to the tape.  I found that if I omit the painters tape there is a lot of adhesive residue left that I have to clean up with mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner when I am finished cutting.  Besides the blue tape peels right off the wood cleanly.  Not a big deal but it takes a while for the paint thinner to evaporate before I can find sand the wood if I just use the spray adhesive. 

I do not bother with the clear packing tape over the pattern.  I didn't notice any difference when I experimented with it.  Maybe the blue tape provides the blade lubrication that others talk about, but I never noticed it.  I do find that sawdust seems to work its way under the packing tape and the edges lift up.  That can be a PITA.

OBTW, Welcome to the forum.

Walt in CT

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:23 am »
I use blue painters tape and 3M 45 - it is cheaper than 77 and is strong enough for my purposes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:35:13 pm by PigsFly »
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 01:17:31 pm »
I also use the painters tape for the reasons stated above. For  spray adhesive I recently switched to Elmer's which dries quickly and leaves less sticky residue than the brands I had been using. Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your Dewalt. I've got its twin from Delta sitting under the tree and am anxious to get it unpacked.
Jim

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 11:47:16 am »
I have been using Elmer's glue sticks on the back of the pattern and love it.  Easy to get off - no mess.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 02:26:47 pm »
I tried krylon spray adhesive comes off with no residue very easily downside the blade also removes it in tight turns therefore ruining the pattern so went back to super 77

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 11:54:51 am »
I use the 3M77 adhesive and blue painters tape. I know they are a little expensive, but, have tried others and came back to these. I realize some folks use other brands and that is great. Just use what works best for you. I also have magnifiers, but I rarely use them because it seems I tense up and my eyes get tired. (if that makes since! LOL)So, I have just learned to really go slow in tight places. If I am cutting a portrait and fret work that has a critical small cut, I will use the glass only for those cuts.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »
WELCOME to the BEST Scroll Saw Forum EVER.  Everyone will ALWAYS be HAPPY to offer advice.  Me TOO....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 10:02:34 pm »
Welcome !
I get the  8 1/2 by 11 sticker sheets ( buy them by the 250 count from Online Labels.com )
part number OL175WX -plain with a back slit ----
and either attach them to blue tape on your project- or the clean wood . Yes the dust does pick them up a bit on plain wood
but for the most part i can get threw what im cutting before their is a problem .
Clear tape doe'snt work well ( for me anyways )- and spraying adhesive seems toxic to me - so i avoid it
as much as possible. ( i do alot of cutting )

Tony

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:04:15 pm by puzzleguy »

SMF

Teknoromi