Author Topic: I need computer help..downloads  (Read 2088 times)

Charlie Dearing

I need computer help..downloads
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:54:58 am »
Ok, I'm freakin' out here.  I went to a site and downloaded a bunch of .zip files.  I can't find them anywhere!!  Since I know they were .zips I did the whole Start>Search>All files and folders>*.zip*   and it didn't find a thing of what I downloaded.  I got a screen capture and it says that the file(s) is downloading to "Temporary Folder".  I searched for Temporary.... I am getting nothing!!!  Where the heck did all these files/downloads go????
I am artistic_cowboy30 on yahoo messenger if you want to help in real time.  I am in a panic here and confused as...heck!  (For future reference, I'd like to know how I can choose where it downloads to like normal files).

Charlie Dearing

Re: I need computer help..downloads
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:39:10 am »
Never did find them so I just redownloaded them by right clicking the word "Download" and "Save targert as"...then I picked where they would go.  I'd still like it if someone could answer the former question in case someone else has this problem.

Dawie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:00:38 am »
Hi Charlie,
Just put your q to my nephew here, his a bit of a pc nutter. He says Temp Files are the ahrdest things to find on disk as searching for temp never shows up. Temps can download to anywhere from your documents to programfiles and anywhere in between. So he says happy searching :P
I was going to tell you the right click part but you figured that one out for yourself.
David.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:07:09 am »
and now I cant get the chat window at http://stevedgood.com/ustream.html to work in Internet Explorer, but it works in Forefox.  I think my computer is going to hell, but virus scans don't find anything.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:09:48 am »
Sometimes zip files are auto un-zipped when you download them making it even harder to find. Try going to start, search, and set up the search to scan all files and folders, local hard drive C: and when was it modified, (todays date). That should list all files that have been down-loaded, changed, etc. today. It might take a while. Hope this helps.
Russ [C]  8)
And nothing ????
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:17:34 am by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:11:48 am »
Did that ...sigh

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:18:25 am »
And nothing???

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:29 am »
Nada.   Other tech problem: I mentioned that I couldn't get the chat room to open in internet explorer (8) and it will open in Firefox.  The pic (and link to see it bigger) below shows what I get when I try to open it:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/artistic_cowboy30/javeProblem.jpg

I have looked for enabling disabling, etc.  Looked under every tab of the internet options security settings.  Nothing.... (I'll use firefox for chat tonight, but I usually always use internet explorer for everything.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:33:16 am »
Wow,  Gremlins  little %$#**^!!#@. I hate little computer problems.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 08:35:24 am »
Sigh, me too especially when virus scans from 3 different virus finders doesnt find anything

chips

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
 Charles,

As to your first problem.... not being able to find where the download files go. Here's the solution I use as I don't have a clue as to where they are either. For an experiment just download a file like you did before. A pop up box will come up showing you the progress of the download. When it's done RIGHT click on the file in the box. A drop down menu will show up and one of the listings is "Open containing folder". Click on that and it'll take where those temp files are located. You should be able to drag and drop the files you want to where you want them, or just click on them to start the file running.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:59:21 pm »
Hey Charlie, I can't read the message on the screen shot but the chat is Java. You probably need to uninstall and reinstall Java.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

You can also set the directory where files download in IE and Firefox. Email me later tonight and I'll give you a hand with it.

Becky

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:07:49 am »
Hey Charlie, I think the "usual" tempory file is in your C:\Windows directory if that's any help.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:11:00 am »
Tried that first.  I read in the help portion of winzip and I dont remember the details but the way I was doing it, the saved files were deleted after the browser closed.  Makes no sense but I have since found a better way ;)

SMF

Teknoromi