Author Topic: Inlace or Clay?  (Read 4012 times)

Dawie

Re: Inlace or Clay?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:13 am »
Here's the promised photo. I made it for a friend of mine, who has just been chosen to join de Dutch paralympic Boccia team. I see him sunday so I hope he likes it.
David http://picasaweb.google.nl/108830755235538370820/2010#

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »
Dawie,
Nicely done.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline lwsjc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 02:30:16 pm »
What Greybeard said.  When I have mixed with paint, it has set very hard.  Can be bought at hardwares and big box stores.

Larry

kp91

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 03:31:55 pm »
Thank for the tip greybeard.  I tried one of the mothers day charms with the clay, and it was hard to get the clay in to a larger area perfectly without any inclusions.  I'll  have to try with the putty. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Inlace or Clay?...Durham's
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »
When I was i the home repair/handyman business I got on to the Durham's Wood Putty from a friend who was a carpet layer and tile setter. We used it for minor floor and counter leveling to get a smooth surface.

WARNING...about Durham's!

It sets up quickly so do not mix more than you can use in just a few minutes.
Don't use too much water or it will be weak and take a long time to 'set'.
If there are indentations left you can go back and re-fill later to smooth it out.
It is much LESS forgiving than 'spackle' or dry-wall compound.
Dries fairly quickly and hard as rock so mix in a paper or plastic 'throw-away' cup.
Sands just like wood.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

Great stuff for filling cracks, holes and for places where you have to later insert screws. Drill pilot hole just to fit the screw.
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cloetpatrick

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 03:22:25 am »
I used the dough "Fimo" to the piece below that I cooked in a small oven to 130 ? C for 30 minutes. The dough "Fimo" has increased a little volume and wood (pine) 5 mm thick did not crack. After sanding, I stuck behind a 3 mm veneer of dark wood (ebony) on any responses and painted with lacquer boat transparent.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00:13 pm »
Nice look!

Wow...EBONY!

Good Stuff!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi