Author Topic: Inlace or Clay?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Inlace or Clay?
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:38:12 pm »
Steve, do you think either or both of these would work in your wrist bracelet pattern?

Curious....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Inlace or Clay?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »
The clay is cheaper and quicker. You might have to keep a close eye on the bracelet while it is in the oven. It's kind of thin and might crack or split. The clay bakes at a low temp so it might be okay.

The inlace is more expensive and takes a lot longer but I think it looks better when finished.

I like both but for a bracelet I guess I would go with the inlace for a more professional look.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »
I was thinking about the Inlace and will likely use that.

When baking cheesecake it is common to place a tray of water in the oven to infuse moisture and prevent the top of the cake from cracking.
WOW, a cooking tip in the Scroll saw Forum!

I wonder if that would help prevent wood from splitting?!?!?!?
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

kp91

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:47:33 pm »

WOW, a cooking tip in the Scroll saw Forum!

I'm on the lookout for a 'cheap' toaster oven at yard sales....  one to use in the shop.   The Mrs.  looks at me funny when I keep sticking projects in the oven!

chips

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:04:11 pm »
 If you want to go first class Hobby Lobby sells a small oven just for baking the clay. Probably nothing more than a glorified toaster oven as it's about the same size.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:42:40 am »
Would it be possible to have a little more in depth conversation about clay?  I have not heard or seen it used before for scrolling.  I saw the video about the inlace and it intrigues me but seems rather expensive.

What is the polymer clay used for and where do you find it?

Does it come in different colors like modeling clay?
Does it shrink when baked?

Thanks for any hints and tips.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

chips

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
 I second what Dunk said. I'm going to try it out on a Rose pattern I found in one of Spielberg's books, and feel a little out of my league. So any help and suggestions would be great.

Becky

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:53 pm »
You get it at the craft/hobby store.  Michael's' has it for sure and I believe Steve mentioned Hobby Lobby.  It comes in about every color, even metallics.  I'm sure you could mix colors together for a new color or even for a sort of swirl effect.  There are different kinds (I don't know how they compare in use) ranging in price from about $1.50 to $3.00 for a two ounce package.  One package would make a LOT of keychain fobs.

The package has the instructions.  Basically, you pull off a piece, knead it in your fingers to soften it and then mash it into the holes you've cut, being carefull to get it everywhere and overfilling to be safe.  After that you stick it in a preheated oven at whatever temperature the package says and for as long as it says.  I think mine was 250 degrees for 30 minutes.  I put a small piece of foil on a cookie sheet and set it on there.  Once it cools, you sand it down flush.  After baking, I did take the piece of foil with my thingie off the cookie sheet to fully remove it from the heat of the pan.

Disclaimers:  I've only done it once.  I didn't glue the pieces together before baking it but someone else on the forum said it worked fine with Gorilla wood glue.  When I sanded mine, I just used the belt that was already on the sander which was 80 grit.  I think that was too coarse because my clay area has some divots which I suspect - but do not know for certain - resulted from my sanding.  Next time I won't be so lazy and will use a finer grit.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:48:43 am »
Becky,
Thank you so much for the clarification.  I'm going to town (that is now 50 miles one way for me) This coming weekend and will stop by Michaels and see if I can find what I need to give it a go.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:46:08 am »
I just made my first clay inlay keyring. Just out the oven about 30 minutes now. Looks nice when sanded, will post a pic later when I have completed it. As far as glueing the peaces before baking I just took a chance and glued them with Bison Universal glue and that help well.
David

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:24:33 am »
David,
Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to the pics.
Mike

Offline lwsjc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »
I have posted this before.   If you use Water Putty mixed with craft paint, instead of water, you have unlimited color choices.  It does not shrink and does not need to be baked.

Larry

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 03:53:10 pm »
Larry, what brand of water putty do you use. I am going to try it.
Thanks Russ[C]  :D
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Becky

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:00 pm »
Ummm, what is water putty?  I've never heard of it before.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
Re: Inlace or Clay?...Water Putty!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »
Durham's Water Putty...
DURHAM'S ROCK HARD Water Putty? is a gypsum-based filler -- a powder -- that becomes very hard when mixed with water. It never shrinks and has great bonding strength. That's why so many people use DURHAM'S to fill holes and cracks in wood, plaster, furniture, stone, and concrete. Once DURHAM'S is set in place ... it stays in place.

Taken right from their website.
<more>
DURHAM'S is to be mixed with water. If you add a great deal of powder or liquid paints, hardness and performance may be compromised. Complete coloring and staining precautions can be found under "How To Color Your Art Objects."

For more information write to: <info@waterputty.com>

~~~GrayBeard~~~

SMF

Teknoromi