Author Topic: glue  (Read 2584 times)

Danny39

glue
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »
what would be a good all round glue to use  i use weldbond, gorilla, and titebond 2   looking for one that may do all three

tux_linux

Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:25:48 am »
you're searching for the super-glue - is it invented yet? I don't think so.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
I used Titebond II for several projects. Pretty good stuff, only thing I found negative it isn't good in all weather year round exposure!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
I used Titebond II for several projects. Pretty good stuff, only thing I found negative it isn't good in all weather year round exposure!
Gabby

For out door use or items exposed to water, use Titebond III. I've had great success with it.
In fact, I used it on a cedar bird bath that I made this spring and it still holds water even if I have let it dry out for a day or two. I'm going to leave it out side over the winter just to see how long it will hold up.

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:55:46 am »

Forgot to post a pic of the bird bath. Sorry.

Rog

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:31:49 am »
Roger If I'm not mistaken they came out with the third glue in response to Gorilla glue being so popular, and it shares it's chemistry, correct me if I'm wro, uh mistaken they both foam and like water in order to make the best bond!??!
I like your bird bath I hope it holds together, if you get freezing weather that will be the test.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:39 am »
Roger If I'm not mistaken they came out with the third glue in response to Gorilla glue being so popular, and it shares it's chemistry, correct me if I'm wro, uh mistaken they both foam and like water in order to make the best bond!??!
I like your bird bath I hope it holds together, if you get freezing weather that will be the test.
Gabby

Sorry Gabby, Titebond III does NOT foam up like the original Gorilla Glue and it does not need water to activate. It comes in the same style bottle as II except it has a green label instead of a blue label. The only real difference to be noticed is that it drys with a brown color instead of yellow.
I have used it to glue up my windmill that has been in the back yard for three years now season after season. Al-tho I did use brads to secure the joints while the glue dryed, the glue is the main fastener on it.

Rog

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »
I Don't want to get off the subject but I must Rog Those projects are awesome I love that windmill..... Ok back to the subhect at hand I use 3 different glues myself I use what ever the project calls for inside (depending on what it is for) I use Aileens tacky or Tightbond II  for outdoor use I use tightbond III for wood everything else I use Gorrilla glue (a little dab goes a long way with that one) So it really comes down to what you need it for and how long do you want it to last. When they do come out with that one glue that does it all I will be first in line for it....lol

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:23:23 pm »
Gorilla also makes a WOOD Glue that does NOT foam and expand outside the joint. Every bit as good as TB III

I used the TiteBond series and now have started using Aleene's Tacky Glue on all my indoor projects.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 03:13:02 am »
Gabby

Sorry Gabby, Titebond III does NOT foam up like the original Gorilla Glue and it does not need water to activate. It comes in the same style bottle as II except it has a green label instead of a blue label. The only real difference to be noticed is that it drys with a brown color instead of yellow.
I have used it to glue up my windmill that has been in the back yard for three years now season after season. Al-tho I did use brads to secure the joints while the glue dryed, the glue is the main fastener on it.

Rog

Thanks Rog, that's good to know.
I find the foaming of Gorilla glue to be a PITA!
Back when I was building a small rowing skiff I used the Titebond II as the number III hadn't come out yet.
As a test I glued a couple 1 by 2 hemlock strips on an off set so that the ends protruded about 4 inches on each end. Then after it had set tried to break them apart. Couldn't budge them. Finally smacked it with a
2 lb hammer and the wood broke not the glue line, I was impressed.
I'll be getting some of the type III for my projects.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

peterjf50

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:09:19 am »
I have no patience at all, ask anyone who knows me.  I have been using a combination of a very small amount of gel "super glue" and titebond and it seems to work well on my small projects.  the "super glue" grabs instantly and then the titebond cures.  With the small items and not being able to clamp properly seems to be working so far.  I guess like everything time will tell!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 01:35:11 am »
I garooonteee you scrolling will teach you patience!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

bruno714

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:38 am »
Must learn patience, trust me. Remember, you're CREATING, not MAKING a piece of unique art because only you can do you. Everyone has a signature. Sorry, didn't mean to get all philosophical on ya!!! Just sayin'...

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:21 am »
Bottom line is that they are all great glues if used for the proper job.  GB I have also switched to the Gorilla wood glue.  I got a couple of sample bottles at the woodworking show last spring, and really like it.  I also use 3 different viscosities of cyanoacrylic (superglue) and an activator when doing things like bandsaw boxes and such.  One thing I learned about those is that if stored upright they will dry out, but if you store the little bottles upside down they last a long long time.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:09:01 pm »
Winemakers have the right idea!

Store it upside down to keep the air out!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi