Author Topic: Video request  (Read 3974 times)

CNLNC

Video request
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »
Hey Steve,
First of all, thanks for the great blog site and forum. It has definetly helped me learn and enjoy my new hobby of scroll work. Now to the question (request).
I've watched most of your videos, and unless I missed it, I think I have a request that would be of great help to people who are new to this. Can you show a video of you (or another experienced scroller) cutting some detailed fretwork from start to finish (time permitting) without pausing or forwarding the recording. The benefit would be to see the actual speed of your cuts in detailed work, technique, etc.
The narrative could describe blade selection, blade speed, etc. and how it is used when cutting a deteiled fret piece or even a detailed portrait.

Just an idea. Thanks again for the great sites.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Video request
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:43:04 am »
I might be able to do a short segment of a detailed fretwork cut but there is a ten minute limit on the Youtube videos. I can break them up into part 1, part 2 etc but from experience the part 2 and forward receive very few views. Most people will watch part one then move on. For example part one of my video on finishing scroll saw projects I had 48,314 views. Part two received 8,262 views. That's why almost all of my recent videos are limited to less than 10 minutes. Even if your audience is interested in what you are showing you have to have the type of personality that can keep them wanting to watch more. Unfortunately even my mom says I'm an old fuddy duddy. I have enough information to hold viewers attention for 5 to 10 minutes but not the personality for 30 minutes. People fall asleep:)

I like the idea though so maybe I can try to work on something.

CNLNC

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:52:23 am »
Thanks Steve,
I think I, among others, would benefit at watching an experienced scroller to some detailed cutting for an extended period. Even if it is only 10 minutes, it would be a benefit.
By the way, I find your videos very entertaining and educating, as I am sure the rest of the viewers do. Whether its part 1, 2 or 102. i'm watching. ;D

Thanks again
CNLNC

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:33:14 pm »
Even if your audience is interested in what you are showing you have to have the type of personality that can keep them wanting to watch more. Unfortunately even my mom says I'm an old fuddy duddy. I have enough information to hold viewers attention for 5 to 10 minutes but not the personality for 30 minutes. People fall asleep:)

Maybe we can get Gabby to do a voice over!  He seems to have a lot of personality! :D

marmoh

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:15:17 am »
Maybe we can get Gabby to do a voice over!  He seems to have a lot of personality!

Oh my, LMAO  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:47:08 am »
Maybe we can get Gabby to do a voice over!  He seems to have a lot of personality!

Oh my, LMAO  ;D ;D ;D

Me too Marion.  :D :D :D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:05:11 pm »
I was working on a project this afternoon when I had a thought, "my tri-pod would probably sit on the steps behind my saw...I could do a video of this project for that guy on the forum" (no offense to CNLNC, "that guy" is meant nicely)
So I dug around for my tri-pod and camera and got it set up. I then cut out the project. My camera battery died after 35 minutes of filming and I didn't realize it until the end. So you will miss the first couple of cuts and the last couple, they are pretty much the same as the rest, you aren't missing much. I had to split the video into 3 parts to be posted on YouTube. I didn't do any talking, and the radio wasn't on so there is no singing, it is just saw making noise. I thought about doing some kind of voice over, but didn't. Maybe next time. . . .
The resulting video is probably the most boring video on all of YouTube. (I am the star and I fast forwarded through most of it.)
But at least I made it, and if I make any more videos they will be better simply because they can't get worse ;)
I don't claim to be the best, or know it all, so if you do things differently that?s fine. Do what works for you.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mupT65GmhLc
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q63EVNZjErU
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSt-ULE1bWM

The pattern that I am cutting comes from the book ?simply wood? by Roshaan Ganief. It is a pretty interesting book, different types and styles of projects then are in a lot of the other scroll saw books that I have. The layered butterfly that I posted in the brag section a while back also came from the book.
I cut the project using my Hegner scroll saw and a number 5 skip tooth blade. It is a stack of 2 pieces of 1/8? Baltic Birch Plywood. To finish the project I will stain the pieces, and glue them to another piece of ply, and spray lacquer.
Let me know if you have any questions
Katie
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:33:00 pm by mrsn »

CNLNC

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
Katie...AWESOME!!!!!!!! ;D

I know somw people might think its like watching paint dry, but not me. That is exactly what I was looking for. I only have watched the first 5 minutes of video 1, and already noticed you make your turns alot faster than I do, or can. 
Video 2 would not open, it said it was being processed.
I am definetly going to watch it start to finish and I'm sure I will learn something from watching it.
Thank you very much for making the effort to make the video. I am sure alot of new scrollers will benefit from watching it.
The only suggestion/request for the next one is if the shot could be tighter on the cuts being made. And maybe a more overhead angle.
Outstanding job!!

Thanks,
Claudio ("that guy")

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »
I figured out what is wrong with video 2. my program didn't save the split that i made. I'll fix that and get it uploaded again.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »
That is very nice!
Wish I had seen something like this video when I first started!

Comment: First Rule for working with tools in my shop...NO JEWELRY.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:15:06 pm »
I think I fixed the links in m earlier post.
GB- I wondered if anyone would comment on my rings. Depending on what I am doing I leave them on. Welding and Auto repair, they are always off. Most of the time when scrolling I do leave them on.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:26 am »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:39:52 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:00:58 am »
Katie,
Were you using a spiral blade or some other type?
Inquiring mind want to know, and so do I.
LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:26 am »
Gabby. The blade is not spiral. It is an Olsen number 5 skip tooth blade.

CNLNC

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:49 am »
@Dunk...Yes, I do remember watching those videos when I first discovered Steve's videos. Steve does a great job with his videos, and explaining things start to finish as he does in the videos you are talking about. The only thing was there is only about 45 seconds of actual cutting in the video. That is why I requested a video of an experienced scroller cutting for an extended time. I thought I, as well as others, could learn alot by watching.
Thanks.

SMF

Teknoromi