Author Topic: removing rust  (Read 1998 times)

wgm

removing rust
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:41:24 am »
What is the best way to remove rust and keep the wood moving smoothly during scrolling?

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: removing rust
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:04:08 am »
Take a look at this link. It explains some of the easiest techniques.
http://woodworking.about.com/od/dealingwithproblems/qt/RemoveTableRust.htm

Anyone else have any tips?

Joe Adams

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:09:44 am »
I work in a molding factory and we have carious spray rust removers that are available at most pipe and machine shops like HCI supply or look at any store that sells piping and tubing. But to help keep the rust off and the wood smooth I have a silicon based spray. 1 can has lasted me 2 years and isn't even half empty yet. a quick spray and its like Teflon.  Also available at machine supply stores. However to keep rust int eh shop down my father uses a large fan to just keep the air stirred up.  If the air is moving stuff doesn't tend to rust fast if at all. Just a thought.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:46:53 am »
I have found the most effective rust removal to be Naval Jelly applied with fine steel wool.  Once cleaned, then apply a coating of paste wax (not automotive) and buff.  Makes the surface extremely slick.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:51:33 am »
Just a comment regarding using Silicone spray. Many woodworkers discourage using this because it can be absorbed into the wood and affect the application of finish after wards.  there are other sprays that are designed for this purpose  (Bostik Top Cote) is the one i use.  Some also suggest  using paste wax and buffing well after it dries.   

EZgoing

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:06:06 pm »
I second the post that Moose made about skipping the silicone products.. 

Myself, for keeping rust under control and for keeping a slick top, I use a product called 'Slip It'] and I love it..

http://slipit.com/home.html

It comes in a paste and spray liquid form (I use the paste on all my cast iron)...

Be sure you get the stuff in the GREEN cans, and not the BLUE.. The blue has silicone in it.. 

I use it on just about anything that needs protection or lubrication.  The quart that I picked up over 2 years ago, is about half gone now.. A little bit goes a LONG way.. and it will not affect your wood finish or stain.

As for the rust removal, I've had good luck with a product called 'Top Saver'..

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10697&filter=rust%20remover

The 'kit' in the link above isn't necessary as long as you have some rags, gloves and a few scotch-bright pads kicking around...

Hope this helps some...

Ez

scrollsaw

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »
i use bowling alley wax. it's in a can in paste form, just rub alittle on and buff it out.it protects the metal and provides a smooth surface

wgm

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am still learning how to use this system

Joesawdust

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:40:08 pm »
I use Johnson's paste wax about once a month and it keeps the cast iron clean and slick.

Greg

SMF

Teknoromi