Author Topic: GIMP re-visited  (Read 9959 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: GIMP re-visited
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:29 pm »
crying into my beer :'(
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 07:58:49 pm »
I've started working on a pattern of my grandson. When I use the lasso tool (in GIMP), close the loop and [delete], the whole image disappears and I'm left with a blank (white) screen except for the outline of the looped area. I've closed the image I've been working on several times without saving, and opened a new one only to have to address the same problem. Any suggestions.. please? Thank you, Barry.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:30:41 pm by overfifty »

Malistar22

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:54 am »
For the final click on the loop to actually close it, are you clicking the first point you made? If you don't click the actually start of the loop (You will know it is because it's a clickable circle) you don't have a loop and when you click delete, you are deleting the whole picture because nothing is technically 'selected'. I've made that mistake often enough because sometimes I click each point I make in a loop and sometimes I freehand drag it and mixing the two together, I have sometimes had to purposely click that first point.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 10:45:27 am »
Sounds right - like the lasso did not close.

Note that the GIMP lasso does not require you to hold the left button down as you make the loop. You can click a first point, even outside of the rectangle of the image, then click point-to-point following your shape until you've gone all the way around. Finally clicking on the starting point will close the loop. This lets you make a complex curve from a number of straight lines. The lines can be short to follow details curves, or long to move along a straight edge.

One other thing - most portraits show shoulders up to top of head, and the image ends on the bottom edge of the window with one or both shoulders touching the left or right edge of the window. So the lasso can start outside the rectangle to the left of the shoulder. Next point would be where the shoulder touches the left edge, then point by point up and around the head, down and to the right across the shoulder, then outside the rectangle on the right. Then click straight up to a point above and right of the rectangle, left to a point above and left of the rectangle, the straight down to the starting point, then delete. This will leave the face and shoulders, deleting all the background in one shot. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59:32 am »
Thank you Mal and Ray. You were right, I tried everything but that. I should have known better after using that feature with the first one. On another note, I've opened my original image in one screen (for reference), and the second "working" image in another [New]. The dialogue box to resize the working image doesn't allow me to enter my own numbers. Any suggestions? Cheers, Barry.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:08:12 pm by overfifty »

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »
By default Image Size has the aspect ratio locked so if you double the width it will double the height. This maintains the shape of the image while making it bigger or smaller. If you unlock the ratio then you can put in any value in both edit boxes.

But if you do that on the Image Size you will distort the image. If you just want more white space around the image, use the Canvas Size rather then Image Size. Canvas size also has the aspect ratio locked by default. I usually use that to set to a std frame size like 5x7 or 8x10. It just makes the rectangle bigger w/o changing the image.

After increasing the canvas size you will see the checkerboard around the outside. Use [Image][Flatten image] to make it white (or whatever background color you have set).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:46:57 pm »
When I did the first portrait pattern of Lexie the aspect ratio in [Scale] wasn't fixed. I could set the size at 8 x 10 as I find, to my eye, it's an acceptable size - not too small and not too large. However, because length and width wasn't locked I spent more time than I should have pulling at the edges of the picture so the image was in correct proportion. Your advice should make it "gooder". Thank you- again, Barry.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »
I should have mentioned that in GIMP the aspect ratio is controlled by the icon of a chain next to the settings. The chain represents a link of the 2 dimensions so they stay in ratio. When it's clicked it changes to a broken chain.

In Inkscape, the aspect ratio lock is an icon of a padlock on the top edge of the window by the size edit boxes. By default it is unlocked. If you use Inkscape to make do a Trace Bitmap (SVG), that's the best place to resize the image - the vector graphics will let it expand while keeping the crisp outline.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:54 pm »
After tweaking my portrait pattern in GIMP and Inkscape, [Object][Fill & Stroke] the pattern in red, and saved in JPEG, GIF or PNG it refuses to open. In attempting to localize the problem it appears that it's the final change in Inkscape to a red image that upsets the software as it opens o.k. in black outline in any other format. I can work with that but I am curious as to why it has an issue with that. Any suggestions? Thank you, Barry.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 06:04:38 pm »
Are you trying to open in GIMP or Inkscape? If saved as a jpg or gif, can you open it in any other viewer?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »
Do you do your lettering directly on the pattern, and if so, in GIMP or Landscape? Thank you, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:19 pm »
Ok after watching some vids and reading some of this, I still don't understand but think I am going about it all wrong. I don't use the paintbrush, I use the pencil and draw in and fill in going by each pixel block if want a bigger area I increase the size of my pencil, and I don't use the filters and photocopy. Should I be doing it that way? When I find something to change to a pattern I click image grayscale then useing black and white clean up and make my pattern this is with any image mind you, I made two patterns doing this and it worked but am working on one now and its giving me fits, about ready to say heck with it. I also have issues with scaleing up a pic but have that figured out now, I think. Am I going about this the wrong way, I am doing portrait patterns yet these are just basic images I have, the one I am working I want to create or make for a friend and am trying to make it perfect to surprise once and if I can get the pattern and get it cut out.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
Whatever is causing the prob seems to be after I put it through [Object][Fill & Stroke]. Doesn't matter what program I try to open the file in, or what the extension is. Up to that point I can open it in any program. Thank you, Barry.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:05 pm »
Gary, have you downloaded or read EIEIO's .pdf document? Lesson 6 from SSV addresses use of the paint brush. If you click on the paint brush in the tool box a dialogue box will open with a variety of brush sizes from pinpoint to quite large. In the same box you'll see two boxes, one on top of the other, one black and one white. You can change the color by clicking on the little arrow in the upper right of the image of the two boxes. It's far easier to make changes to the image if you magnify the image using the per cent change box on the bottom of the screen about half-way across. You can also adjust the size of the new image your working on (to a certain extent) if you hold the cursor over the edge of window and drag it across, and down. Cheers, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 08:52:40 pm »
Where is that pdf format? I have been watching ssv vids but they are not really in order and hard to follow I think I have new version of gimp so what I have may differ to what the vid or tut's explain.

SMF

Teknoromi