Author Topic: Newbie from Oklahoma  (Read 2084 times)

Southerocker

Newbie from Oklahoma
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:45:04 am »
Just got my 1st scroll saw, this one, http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-16inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602/p-00921602000P and haven't cut anything with it yet. Was hoping someone could give me a good beginner project so I don't lose interest after the 1st project. I've googled a lot of free templates but nothing inspired me. I would like to do something with a deer or buck, maybe. I don't know.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie from Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:09 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Australia. Just find yourself something small, cat, dog whatever to make a fridge magnet help you with sticking to the lines etc.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:56:29 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  Look through Steve's pattern library and pick something that floats your boat.  Your first project should be something that you've been wanting to try.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:47:14 am »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:53:11 am »
Greetings from South Dakota.  Welcome to the addiction.  Grab something relatively easy for the first go - I tried a cat and mouse cutout that sits above the door - still there today.

Fire up, cut up, display - questions? - hit this group up with them.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:22:34 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. Don't hesitate to ask questions and have fun! Steve has plenty of fun patterns on the free pattern page, so pick one out and start cutting. He also has several tutorials on the video page.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:10:09 am »
welcome to the forum i'm Todd from NL Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

countryscroller

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:29:06 am »
Welcome, I'm Dustin from Ohio. Glad to have you with us.  If you are like the rest of us here, after the first project you will be hooked on scrolling.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »
Welcome to the group! I'm Pete from Minnesota. Just grab a hunk of wood and draw a buch of pencil lines all over it and try to follow the lines. Don't try to push too hard let the saw do the cutting. The fisrt thing you may notice is that you cannot cut a straight line by pushing the wood straight ahead, you must push from about the 5:00 oclock position rather 6:00. That is because of a burr on the blade. Good luck!

Also a Craftsman 16" owner....
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »
Hi, welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:13:43 am »
Welcome! I am Mahendra from India.
mahendra

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 09:27:16 am »
Welcome, I'm Chelcass from the U.P. Michigan.  Glad you joined us.  Check out Steve Good's patterns he has a ton of easy to do ones.
ChelCass

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
What part of OK?  I live in Alva, been scrolling for 23+ years and love it still.  Just wish I had more time and reason to cut.  Welcome!!

Ken

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 01:50:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I am currently in a small town south of Atlanta, but in 14 to 15 months when my wife retires I will be outside of Lawton.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 08:43:16 pm »
Just got my 1st scroll saw, this one, http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-16inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602/p-00921602000P and haven't cut anything with it yet. Was hoping someone could give me a good beginner project so I don't lose interest after the 1st project. I've googled a lot of free templates but nothing inspired me. I would like to do something with a deer or buck, maybe. I don't know.

I am in Oklahoma as well, central part near OKC. I got that same saw and love it, posted in your other thread what to do with it, if your near OKC let me know I can help you with it.

SMF

Teknoromi