Author Topic: Stack cutting  (Read 2096 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Stack cutting
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
Can I get a good cutif I stack two 1/4 in baltic birch plywoods together?
Thanks in advance. I have never stack cut before are there any tips you could give me?
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Stack cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:23:23 pm »
Yes, you can.
If you use an aggressive blade, there is a possibility of chipping the bottom layer
and may only salvage the top board but, if you make sure the boards are very tightly
taped together, use a zero tolerance insert if there are lots of small areas, use the
smallest blade possible and change the blade if it becomes dull, and don't feed the
wood too fast (let the blade do the cutting) you can sometimes get all your layers
to come out fine.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:47:21 pm »
When I stacked cut I used a number 1  FD either scroll reverse or ultra reverse pending on the wood and how thick it was in the stack. Using a reverse blade it cuts the bottom on the up stroke reducing the tear out.

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:00:21 pm »
I use FDUR1 on most all my scrolling. Thanks for the replies.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:19:15 pm »
Short answer is, Certainly. 

However, your results will depend on a couple factors; are you using the proper blade?  and have you secured the blanks together sufficiently?

The blade factors, in because some folks may think they can use the same blade to cut a stack that they would use to cut a single layer.  That may or may not be true, in reality.  How thick you make your stack is a compromise between the efficiency gain of cutting multiples and being able to use the preferred blade.  For example, one might want to cut a finely detailed pattern, out of 1/8" BB ply.  For a single layer, the smallest blade available would normally be the choice. However, if you wanted to stack 6 of them together, you likely wouldn't have as much success with that same blade, so you need to consider how big the blade needs to be to cut the desired thickness of the stack and will that blade allow me to readily cut the detail in the pattern?  Personally, I usually try to keep my stacks 1/2" or under.  This is because most of the time, I'm cutting patterns with enough detail that I want to use a very small blade.  Going much thicker than that slows the cutting down too much and dulls my blades too quickly.  YMMV

There are several methods for holding all the layers together in your stack.  Some folks wrap the stack with tape.  Others drive small brads into the waste areas.  Some use small pieces of double back tape, applied between the layers, to hold them together.  I like to use hot glue on the edges of the stack to bond them together.  Each method has its pros & cons.  Bottom line is that if the layers happen to shift during the cut, you have effectively spoiled most, if not all of the layers, so it's important to choose a method that is secure, but still permits easy "unstacking" of the finished pieces.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 07:37:47 pm »
Thank you Bill for the info. I am going to try and cut two 1/4" baltic birch plywood. I am planning on using aFDUR #1.

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:15 pm »
I cut up to 4 1/4 BB pieces at a time.

Larry

Offline 3Dface

• getting hooked on wood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »
i have gone as high as 6 layers of 1/8" luan to do family portraits for Christmas this year. i used a #3 spiral blade. i learned early that when i make a cut that leaves a floating piece that can vibrate i place a piece of blue tape over it. then i reach under as i remove the blade and hold the piece in place and tape the bottom as well.
you can see the results of the pattern and result below.

(i just started putting 2 1/8" luan between 2 1/4" Burch plywood with a revers spiral blade. have to move super slow though or the blade drifts.)

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:01 am »
Thank you Bill for the info. I am going to try and cut two 1/4" baltic birch plywood. I am planning on using aFDUR #1.

I've had good luck with the FDUR #1.  It will cut very fine detail, but also seems to hold up pretty well in thicker stock.  I think you'll be fine with that combination.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi