Author Topic: rikon band saw  (Read 3150 times)

Offline termite

• View Profile
rikon band saw
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »
  i just got my 14" bandsaw. i think i am going to put it on a mobile base. has anyone done this with this saw? if so i would like to know how it worked for you. i would also like to know what base you bought. i am looking at htc, if they make one for this saw. any help would be appreciated.
thanks termite

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: rikon band saw
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:12:31 am »
A band saw needs to be anchored to the floor as they tend to be a bit top heavy, if you put wheels on make sure you can lock them, but I think the saw will still need to be anchored down
Jimbo

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:21 am »
I made my own base. Used flat 2X4;s covered with 3/4 ply. Casters are large heavy duty and each one has a wheel lock. I did not have much choice as I have to move it to the middle for use. If you have a dedicated space the bolt it down. That saw is heavy!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:51 am »
Like Billy I too made my own base with lockable heavy duty casters - big mistake, there was too much movement swaying from side to side when cutting anything big. I took it off the base and firmly bolted it down. Then I used my base (slightly modified) to mount my 10" by 6" thickness planer so I could move that around the saw, that was more steady as all the weight is lower down, so it's much more stable on it's wheels. hope that helps.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:33:45 am »
I agree, the saw needs to be firm to the ground. I have used this saw at the Woodcraft store. It is on a Mobil base. It does move around when cutting, and that is not a good feeling!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:38:45 am »
Keefie,

I have not cut any thing that I would consdier big. The largest re-saw so far is a piece of padauk about 9 inches wide and 3 1/2 feet long. Other boards have been longer but much narrower. I have considered adding some weight to the base to help.  Bottom line is I have to keep it mobile or cut only very small pieces. Base might be a good place tp store the weights for my easy-up! HA Just came up with that!  THANKS

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »
i've decided to wait on mobile base for now. i have help coming this weekend to help put it on base cabinet. tried to do it myself today. ten years ago i could have done it, not today. oh well life goes on

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »
I have a 14" Jet bandsaw with a riser that is on a mobile base and I move it around all the time.  It has been no problem at all.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:43:47 am »
I am with you Termite, I had to have help for that too.  Had 4 of us and it made for easy work. Getting the bolts in the holes was another story though!

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:00:02 am »
I only have a 10 inch band saw, not as big as your 14 inch but I made a base using 2 x 4's with lap joints then put furniture slides under it.  Mounted my band saw on top.  It is stable but I can still slide it out of its storage corner to use it and then slide it back after I use it.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:32 am »
I have a Delta 14", with Riser, which sets on a HTC mobile base and have never had a problem with the saw moving when cutting any size board.   
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

SMF

Teknoromi