Author Topic: Baltic Birch Plywood Source  (Read 10024 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Baltic Birch Plywood Source
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:17:04 pm »

I usually buy 1/8" ply from Michael's for convenience, but I also get it from Rockler Woodworking sometimes. I hadn't paid exact attention, but I knew the prices were close, and the convience out weighed the drive across town. So, I had some time after work today so I decided to check into the price of BB plywood.

At Michael's I get a piece 12"x24" for $3.99 (which is $1.99 per square foot) a similar size at Rockler 12"x30" is $5.49 (which is $2.20 a square foot) So Michael's is actually a cheaper place to buy that size.
I did the math on all of the sizes of 1/8" bb ply that Rockler has and the square foot prices $1.80-3.99 (sizes 12x30, 12x15, 24x30, 11.75x60, 24x60 if you care) I have to buy a 24"x60" piece to get a better price then Michael's.
Also the Michael's birch plywood is made in Illinois!

I thought I would pass this along to those of you who might be like me and buy smaller pieces of plywood.
Katie

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Baltic Birch Plywood Source
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:21:12 pm »
Plus sometimes you can get coupons for 40% and 50% off one item!

Karl

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:18 pm »
I finally sources out a craft shop that sells birch. The shop is about 1 hour drive from my home. They could not tell me if it was BB, it has a label marked 1/8 birch plywood. It is very expensive, $20.00 for one 12in X 24in piece. I told them it was way out of my league. It was very smooth and 5 ply thick. I checked with Michael's but they told me they don't stock BB plywood at all in that store.

Anyway, my brother showed up tonight with a stack of plywood under his arm. They were all 5 ply, 12 in square and 3/8 thick, very smooth with a fine grain. His wife got them from her place of work, (hospital). They are  clean with no marks at all. We think they were used in packageing for supplies coming into the X-Ray unit, where she works. This is great for me, I have already picked out some plans that suite some of the plywood. ;) ;)

What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:57:04 pm »
Karl, the coupons are awesome. I was there last week and forgot my coupon and the lady behind me in line gave me one of hers!

CD, I'm glad that you got some nice plywood. I don't bother asking for help finding wood at the craft stores, most of the employees don't know what it is.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »
They will even take coupons off of the real fancy phones!  (not mine!)

Karl

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »
I have bought some 1/8" ply at Hobby Lobby, the quality is not the greatest but fair.  Don't remember the price.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »
 :) :)Just got a Rockler flyer in the mail... cover has 30" x 60" x 1/4" sale 14.99 reg. 24.99
GO PACK GO

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:20:08 pm »
Hey, Katie,  what is the 'Michaels' store you refer to as a source for BB?  The only Michaels I'm familar with is a craft store.  Thanks
MOONIE

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Loonier, I am talking about the craft store. They have a "woodworking" section that has a good quality ply. In some stores it is with model making stuff. Many of the clerks don't know what it is, so you may have to wander around a bit.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
hey Katie, bad luck for me not living in the area......
guess i have to do my own research her in Holland ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:19 pm »
 I have bought 1/8th BB at Michaels on occassions, works in a pinch price is around the same for 12x24.  Edward

malc

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:43:46 pm »
Katie, is the 1/8 ply 3 or 5 ply?
Malc

CNLNC

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »
Mrsn, I checked out Sloan's and their 12x24 is $3.10. I didn't compare all the prices, but I thought I would pass it on. I've ordered from then before and their service is good.

Question: Is the quality at Michael's the same as from a lumber supplier, such as Sloan's? Things like voids, patches, etc.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
here where i'm at the S&H charges kills it.the nearness supplier is in Nova Scotia and its expensive in my opinion.so i just go to the local hardware store and buy 4'X8' sheets of birch or oak plywood they carry it in 1/8",1/4",1/2", and 3/4" thicknesses. rip it myself with my tablesaw to the sizes i want and save quite a few dollars as well. may not be as good as B&B but when 95% of what i'm making is for family and friends and i'm on a tight budget, it works best for me.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »
I buy my BB at our local lumber yard.  I get 5 foot square piece of 1/8 inch for $9.00 and for the 1/4 inch $13.98.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi