Author Topic: Drilling Holes In The Middle  (Read 3994 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Drilling Holes In The Middle
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:13:15 am »
How do you drill holes in the middle of a project if your drill press can't reach?

Most of the time I don't need "crazy" accuracy so I just use my cordless drill and hope I am square. But I have had a few projects lately that I needed more square holes (the projects worked out but it was nerve wracking) and I have one that is sitting waiting on me to drill some center holes because of tight areas.
I know there are several options, but what do you do?
MrsN

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Drilling Holes In The Middle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:50:43 am »
I haven't had that problem yet Katie, but folks around here use a Dremmel with a plunge base to drill holes that your drill press won't reach.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:51:03 am »
I have a Dremel drill press stand.  While the throat depth is pretty small, you can spin the Dremel around 180 degrees and get unlimited capacity.  You have to hang on to the base as it will tip a little when set up this way, but it works.

I think if I had it to do over again, I would use the Dremel plunge router base instead.  Better stability and complete accessibility to any spot on the board.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:13:40 pm »
Katie i got the scrollers drill from Seyco. i got it on sale,still expensive,but it does the job when i need it. you could try a drill stand. there are many out there. i dont know how well they work.
maybe someone on here has one & can tell us about them. hope this helps  termite

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »
Dremel plunge router attachment.  Not expensive (@$30) and keeps you square to the board.

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »
I have a similar device for a cord drill: Clickedy but that one needs quite much space and cannot be placed in unstable positions.

alien11

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
Since you don't need "crazy"accuracy, try this. Make a 2" cube, place a corner of the block next to the point where you want the hole, keep the drill bit parallel to the block's corner, you'll have pretty square holes.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:14:04 am »
I'm lucky I have a Dremil + I have a husband that as a large drill press, I just use that while he's at work. LOL

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:31:49 am »
OK You young whippersnappers need a little Yankee ingenooty for a cheap way to drill a square hole.
You've already said your Drill press wouldn't let you reach the center of your board.
Use your Drillpress to drill a piece of scrap material with the size hole you will be using for your blades. Since the hole will be at right angles to the face of the scrap you will have a ready square pilot hole for your cordless to follow. If the scrap piece is aluminum or other metal it will last a long time, wood will eventually get out of square because of the soft material, but would work in a pinch.
So get busy drilling those pilot holes, ya don't have any excuses now.
Whew I'm pooped.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:05 am »
Katie, I use a dremel plunge router base, also.  Unless they have updated it, the dremel 400 will not fit.

Offline tas2181

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:05 am »
Katie,
I also use the Dremel plunge Router base. Got it about 3 years ago and haven't bothered using the drill press since. If you go with the Dremel just make sure you have a variable chuck so you can use any size drill bit.
Gabby, your idea would work except you would have a hard time with alignment when you need precision in locating your hole.

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »
I have the Dremel stand. It can be turned 180 degrees, as said before, and is unstable. So clamp it to the work bench, have scrap wood under your work piece, and drill away.
Pat B

stipes

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:21:31 pm »
OK You young whippersnappers need a little Yankee ingenooty for a cheap way to drill a square hole.
You've already said your Drill press wouldn't let you reach the center of your board.
Use your Drillpress to drill a piece of scrap material with the size hole you will be using for your blades. Since the hole will be at right angles to the face of the scrap you will have a ready square pilot hole for your cordless to follow. If the scrap piece is aluminum or other metal it will last a long time, wood will eventually get out of square because of the soft material, but would work in a pinch.
So get busy drilling those pilot holes, ya don't have any excuses now.
Whew I'm pooped.
Gabby
      Yes my friend and I give this a 2 thumbs up!

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »
Gabby, that is great for pieces with large cut-outs, but how about fret work with tiny, lacy cut-outs. You wouldn't be able to see where to center the hole in the aid. Maybe if the scrap wood was cut in two, thru the drill hole. It could be lined up with the small place to be cut and the drill bit held against it. Haven't tried that tho.
We all do different types of scrolling.
Pat B

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:42:18 pm »
I use a hand drill for everything.

SMF

Teknoromi