Author Topic: Pattern Storage  (Read 1936 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Pattern Storage
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:39:16 pm »
I recently inherited a bunch of magazines and paper patterns from some older Scrollers who are downsizing and I need to rethink how I organize paper patterns. The only paper patterns I had was a file of things my dad designed and what ever I printed (plus the books and magazines)

I was thinking of making subject folders and printing a few of my favorites that would also fit. It seems like a lot of work up front but probably the only way I will find anything in the pile.

I have read that some people scan everything in and only have digital stuff, do any of you actually do that? What about oversized patterns, scanning those seems like a lot of work? Do you keep an index of what is in the files? I typically scan things from the books and magazines as I make copies(if it will fit on my scanner bed) but sitting down and scanning things that I will likely not cut sounds like a waste of time.

How do you store/file magazines and books? Do you have a list of which magazines you have and what is inside so things are easier to find? Do you keep certain topics together (like all of the holiday issues together) do you take them apart and file the projects separately?

Also, where is your storage? In the shop, in the office, someplace else?

So what do you do? Any advise before I start organizing?
Thanks for the input
MrsN

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Pattern Storage
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »

Hey Katie, I keep it real simple. I have a plastic file box that has four drawers. I keep purchased patterns in there. also if I cut something from a magazine I make an extra copy to store. I do not keep an index nor do I store patterns in any order. With all the free patterns available, and all the patterns in the two magazines, I rarely need to go looking in the file box!
If I get a pattern online, I just keep it in a file on my hard drive, and make an extra copy to store.
As far as the magazines, I keep the patterns in the magazine and store them in boxes in my shop, no index.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »
Magazines filed in date order by mag...printed patterns, 2 copies made and one is filed in file box under "Categories'...Animals, Holiday, Toys, Knick Knacks, etc

ALL downloaded patterns are placed on HD in folders for categories and backed up at least weekly

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:24 pm »
I'm the same as Dan I keep original patterns and print as needed, I have 100's of patterns on my PC but never look at them
Jimbo

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:50:54 am »
I have a bookcase and a file cabinet in the shop.  The magazines are in magazine boxes by date and the paper patterns are filed by catagory.

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 12:35:57 pm »
I have a spread sheet listing the mag title, date and the each pattern. I can then just search out pattern by pattern name, and pull mag out and check it out when I need it. As I use a mag pattern I then save on hard drive.

ps. I checked out your review of the Menards spindle sander and picked up one today... on sale and with 11% rebate ta boot. Have to make a stand for it.  Thanx
GO PACK GO

smitty0312

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:32:54 am »
Most of my patterns are digital, I use a thumb drive to store everything, categorized, just in case the computer crashes.

SMF

Teknoromi