Author Topic: Intarsia lettering  (Read 2125 times)

markw

Intarsia lettering
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »
I see lettering on intarsia wood projects, like U.S. Army on the teddy bears. How do they get the letters on to the wood so perfect?

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
Re: Intarsia lettering
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:12:46 am »
I cut the letters into the piece and use a raising shim to make the lettering stand proud of the piece. You can also overlay the letters as well.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:54:16 am »
Go to Tutorials, Techniques and Tips. Go to page 2 and the seventh post down "How to cut fonts on wood" by agoodday 88 will show you how I do it....with pictures too!  ;)
You can use spacers, (shims) as Brian suggested, for the raised effect if you want too....or not.  ;D

Rog
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:10:10 am by Rapid Roger »
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:04:54 am »
I just had another thought.... :P
If you just want to cut the lettering separately and glue on top of the background but are concerned about spacing, use tracing paper under a second (or third) pattern to locate where the letters are and proper angle for them.
I would just cut the letters from one copy of the pattern, cut the background from a second copy and use the third copy with tracing paper over the background piece to trace out the letter position on the background to glue the letters in proper position.
Will that help?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi