Author Topic: Inkscape for portrait patterns  (Read 6740 times)

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
Inkscape for portrait patterns
« on: August 16, 2016, 02:24:24 pm »
I apologize if this question has already been asked a hundred times, but I am looking for a program to create portrait patterns. I am completely new and out of my element regarding portrait patterns so that is why I am here seeking advice. Would Inkscape be a good program to create portrait patterns or would Gimp be a better choice? Honestly, I would appreciate any help! I am not looking to become a professional portrait designer. I just want to import pictures of my grandchildren into a program and perhaps create a keepsake for both them and myself. Thanks!

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Inkscape for portrait patterns
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »
Gimp is the better choice as it manipulates pictures like jpg.

Inkscape is for vectors like signs etc.

If you are interested in lessons go to Scroll Saw Village and Travis has a great video on GIMP and portraits.  It takes practice and patience.

Don

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:28:10 pm »
Thanks Don for your help!

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »
There a different procedures for converting a photo to a scroll pattern. The most popular seems to be using Gimp for the 1st step of highlighting the contrast areas (black and white) using filters and photocopy, then load into Inkscape to convert that to a svg (scalable vector graphic, removes the jaggies and makes nice smooth islands even as you zoom in) then back to Gimp to eliminate floaters. Inkscape has some nice text functions. For example, convert a butterfly pattern to svg, then float some text along the outer edge of the wing.

This takes practice to get any good at it. Look for people asking for patterns, then try each one. If it works out well, post back here. After a couple of dozen of those you'll see a great improvement in your skill. And the tuition is $0.00. What a deal.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:28:22 am »
EIEIO,

That is very good information! I will play with that and see if I can figure it out. Also, your idea of watching the pattern forum and trying to create patterns for people is a great idea. Thanks so much for your help!

Louis

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 05:57:45 pm »
Louis - The attached doc describes the process I use to convert a photo to a pattern - it might be of some help. I wrote this a couple of years ago for a guy getting into pattern making. It seems like a lot of steps at first, but after a few patterns it should flow pretty easily. Install GIMP and Inkscape (both free downloads). Load a photo into Gimp and edit as described. Save the GIMP output as GIF or JPG, load into Inkscape, convert to SVG to smooth it, save the SVG, then load the SVG into GIMP for bridging to any islands (some call them "floaters").

Let me know if you have questions.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Loskoppie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 03:28:02 am »
I am taking a copy to hope you don't mind having a problem working it out and once again you have come to help me.

Barbara (loskoppie)

Offline leehljp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »
Does anyone know this process in Photoshop? I have been a PS user since '93-94, but never formally trained. Mostly photo management for individual DT publication. Rarely did I go to B&W.

Thanks

Hank Lee
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. :D

Offline Donrob

• View Profile
    • Old Crow Scrollwerks
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »
Does anyone know this process in Photoshop? I have been a PS user since '93-94, but never formally trained. Mostly photo management for individual DT publication. Rarely did I go to B&W.

Thanks

Hank Lee
Hank, Here is a tutorial at SSV
http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles.html/_/pattern-making/photoshop/dog-portrait-using-adobe-photoshop-r17
CUSTOM DESIGNED SCROLL SAW PATTERNS
www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com

SMF

Teknoromi