Author Topic: Mdf  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
Mdf
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:55:59 pm »
Does anyone have any idea how to paint the MDF board, i know it is not adviseable material to work with but any ideas will help in the project that I have in mind :)
Thanks
mahendra

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Mdf
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:38:43 pm »
I always use a sealer first.  it can be as simple as a latex paint or you can use shellac.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:52:08 pm »
Mahendra: this seems like a pretty detailed tutorial for painting MDF. You could probably simplify it, just keeping the highlights.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/67501/how-to-paint-mdf-to-a-mirror-finish-worklog
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:17:24 pm »
The top surface paints fairly well, it is the edges that usually suck up paint. Using a primer or sanding sealer will help a great deal. If those are hard to find, several coats of a plain color will also work. Put a few coats of paint, then sand lightly, then more paint. Repeat until the paint is smooth and not soaking into the "wood". Oil based paints will soak in less, If I remember correctly.

Offline xuryl

• Hello from Ridgefield, Washington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:02 pm »
Another thing that well is to dilute  wood glue with water, and the paint the edges of the MDF.
Wayne

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:19 am »
Thank you guys for your help. Ray , the link was exactly what I was looking for, explained in a very simple fashion but a lot of work to make it look good- thanks :)
I was inspired by one of our new member ,he posted his work and the link to his blog, all his work was made out MDF and painted in different colors,looked beautiful and neat.
Thanks .
mahendra

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:38 am »
I agree that the new guy's MDF work looked interesting. I've seen some Intarsia done in different thicknesses of MDF then painted but I had not realized how difficult the finish painting might be, especially for curved Intarsia surfaces that need a good sealing.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi