Author Topic: Craft Show Disaster  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Craft Show Disaster
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:20:37 am »
Well, the largest craft show of the year for me was a complete disaster. There were over a hundred vendors setting up Friday night and officials expected over 10,000 visitors, so we were pretty excited to get there early Saturday morning at 6:oo am to get my scroll work out of the transport bins onto the display racks and tables. I had put my canopy and grid wire and tables up Friday night, so we would not be rushed Saturday morning. We could relax and drink coffee and visit with fellow vendors before the rush began at 9:oo am. Well, about 8:30 we saw a few raindrops and started getting nervous, but, officials assured us that according to the weather center, we should only see a few light showers. Well, all of a sudden, it began raining and the wind got up and lightening and thunder began and instead of just lasting a few minutes, it got worse and worse.The rain blew inside the canopy so hard and so fast, everything got wet! We finally got everything packed and took the canopy down in driving rain and wind, literally threw it all into the truck and took off! When we got home and began unloading the totes, we saw just about every piece had gotten wet. So, we spent all day and night drying off and inspecting every item. I will have to repair just a few pieces, so, I can be thankful for that! Now, to get ready for the last show of the year in early December, which will be inside! I think if I continue selling at craft show, I am going to invest in a rain proof four sided tent like structure. Plus, I passed up smaller shows to do this large show. Oh well, I still have the passion for scrolling and have a lot of Christmas gifts on hand now to pass to family and friends! LOL!!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Craft Show Disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:35:49 am »
I'm sorry that it turned out that way.  I hope they at least refunded your table fees....
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

puzzlemaker

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:26:07 pm »
I have done a lot of craft shows and never had my booth fees returned!

Pat

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:21 pm »
Good reason not to do an outdoor sale when something like that happens it is no longer fun so I only do indoor sales even if I don't sell a lot I can still enjoy myself and go home with all my stuff intact still sorry to hear it happened

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 09:58:53 pm »
I just got done doing a big craft show myself.  It to was a disaster.  The weather was ok but I sat in my booth inside for 6 hours and sold 2 things.  I sold only $50.00 worth all day long.  The booth spot cost me $60.00.  I didn't even cover my table cost.  But I have three more one right after the other.  I hope I do better at these show.  Tony, I know how you feel, but that was just one show, don't give up my friend.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »
This past Sat. I was a vendor at an indoor craft sale.  It was the first time for this event, was not advertized much, and had a total of 43 shoppers show up.  It only lasted form 8AM till noon.  $20 booth cost and I sold $275 worth of stuff and got a few custom orders.  I expected to sell about $60 worth so I was suprised!
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »
Congrats Jim! You just never know what to expect at craft shows.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:24 pm »
Craft fairs are like a box of chocolates, you never know from one show to the next how you are going to feel on the way home.  :D. The important is you were able to go and you got home safely. The next one could be the BIG one, good luck all.  ;)
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:51:42 pm »
True... you never know what will sell and how much.  I have done about 75 shows in the past few years and the worst show I did was total sales of $90 with a space rental of $25.  I usually get $250 of sales and as much as 8- 9 times that on about three shows a year.  My method is to mass produce a few items and sell them cheaply. ($20 and less)
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi