Author Topic: Mitre Saw Blade Selection  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Mitre Saw Blade Selection
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:34:07 pm »
I have been having problems using a #60 blade on my 10" mitre saw when cutting 1/4 or less material. The wood tends to have rough edges, and wanting to splinter out. What blade is best? I don't want to change blades every time I change thickness, so what would be the best overall blade on 1/8 to 3/4" wood?

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Mitre Saw Blade Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:41:35 pm »
Try to find a blade with as many teeth as possible. Or maybe marked as a "plywood" or "finish" blade.
I don't use my miter saw for anything but rough cutting but, on my table saw I have as much as 100 tooth blade for thinner wood and nice smooth cuts. I have also heard of as much as 200 tooth blades but, I've never seen one.
Most miter saws use "miter saw blades" but, I think that if the arbor is 5/8" a standard 10" table saw blade would work also.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »
Might try a 80 tooth or even that 100 thooth, the more teeth you have the smoother the cut but at the same time the slower you have to cut. Might also try cutting real slow with the miter on thinner stuff see if that helps, if not gonna have to change blades to keep a clean cut. I have a 60 tooth on my table saw and it cuts 1/4 boards pretty good no splinter but I also cut slow.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:46:51 pm »
How old is the 60 tooth blade?  You should be able to get a clean cut with it.  If all else fails, lay down a line of painters tape then mark your line.  Clean cuts every time.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:45 pm »
Toneman, blades for a table saw and blades for a miter saw aren't generally interchangeable.  Did you perhaps install a table saw blade on your miter saw? 

From what I can gather, the hook angle is different.  Rockler http://www.rockler.com/articles/saw-blades-101.cfm mentions that the miter saw needs a lower, or negative, hook angle.

Good luck,
Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline xuryl

• Hello from Ridgefield, Washington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:00 pm »
Another thing that you could do is put a piece of 1/4" plywood under the good wood thus creating a zero clearance insert to combat the tear out.
Wayne

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:54 am »
WOW! Being a rookie working with wood, I realize there is a lot to learn about saws! LOL!! I just replaced the 60 tooth blade on my mitre saw with a new one, but, did not realize blades were not the same. Now, I will go back to the hardware store and ask for a mitre saw blade for a compound sliding saw used for thin material. But until I do, will try the blue tape and the plywood under my work piece. I appreciate all ya'lls advice and suggestions! My table saw has a 60 tooth blade and I notice it cuts better than the mitre, but, honestly, I am not quite that comfortable with the table saw yet, especially when needing narrow cuts. I did read the article on Rockler's site about blades and now I feel more confident about my next blade purchase.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:51 am »
Toneman, what did you replace the 60 tooth blade with on your mitre saw? :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 11:05:42 am »
I agree with Julie, a sharp blade and painters tape should solve you tear out issues. The 60 tooth blade should work, but it might be worth investing in the 80 tooth if you are going to be doing a lot of thin wood cutting.

Bob

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »
Bob, I replaced the mitre saw blade with another 60 tooth blade, but, honestly I don't remember the brand or description on the blade. When I purchased the mitre saw and table saw, the salesman offered a spare 60 tooth blade @50% discount, so I am just now replacing the blade on the mitre saw with the spare. I will go to my shop this evening and look at the information on the blade.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »
The new blade is a 60 tooth smooth/cross cut thin kerf, and a picture of a mitre, table, and arm saw is on the blade. So, I guess it is a blade for all these saws. According to Rockler, I should use a blade made only for mitre saws. The saw is a craftsman 10" 15 amp 6000 rpm and my table saw has same specs. I guess my problem could be a combination of blade and saw, huh? Oh well, at least I am still having fun and I can live with the problem if a better blade doesn't work better for me. Thanks all!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:30 pm »
Being its a 60 tooth thin kerf it should cut good with out tear out, have you tried on a scrap piece cutting slowly let the blade work through the wood see if that helps?

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:11 pm »
I looked at my tablesaw blade today  It is a CMT Orange and it is marked Table Saw/Miter Saw Blade.  Don't have the other specs, I didn't take the blade off, but plan to tomorrow to see check.  I was surprised to see the dual designation. I want to see the hook angle for openers.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 08:42:36 am »
That is interesting Billy. Let us know what you discover about the hook angle of the blade. Since I am not using the mitre saw for cutting joints, but for sizing small pieces, maybe a combo blade is sufficient.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:29:15 am »
Will do Tony.  Right now I am having my 2nd cup Soon I will actually be able to  speak in full sentences
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi