Author Topic: More Spindle sander Woes Triton this time  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
More Spindle sander Woes Triton this time
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »
Here is the story.  Purchased a Triton Oclliating Spindle Sander last August.   Tried it out once or twice, but never really used it much due to eye problems and subsequent surgery. Finally got back to the shop late January and went to use the sander.  Seemed the slightest touch of wood to the spindle , and the spindle would stop turning.   Checked the  top nut and made sure it was tight.  Still the slightest touch of wood would stop the spindle from turning.  After several different tries, with different size sleeves and different wood, I finally put my hand around the spindle and with it running, squeezed. I was able to stop the spindle from turning with a slight pressure.  I was even able to stop the spindle with two fingers.  The spindle continued to move up and down.  Contacted Triton  and recieved a fairly prompt reply.  The gist of the reply was  Hey Dummy, tighten the nut on the top.  Told the gentleman that the nut was tight, washers top and bottom. Recieved another reply that more or less said the same thing   Tighten the nut dummy. That is when I told him I could stop the spindle with two fingers. Several more attempts to contact have gon unanswered.   Finally I decided to take matters into my own hands and disassembled the sander.  I found a parts diagram for a Rockwell and they are the same. I finally got a Trtion diagram from a fellow in England. He sells Triton but is not with Triton.  (Thanks again Dennis)  The spindle shaft uses a woodruff key to connect with the pulleys.  Well there was no key!!! It was not in the bottom of he unit and not on the bench. It was MIA. 

The Continuing Saga

I picked up a woodruff key. It was a little to large  so I ground it down a small amount.  It fnt in he slot fine.   Reassembled the motot/drive unit.  Unfortunately I broke the switch in the process.  I was able to bypass the switch and run the sander.  I had the sander  upside down, clamped in place with the spindle shaft hanging off the bench.  Started the sander, worked fine, the spindle did not slip, and it oscillated as it was supposed to.  I started and stopped it several times, checking each time and all was good. Made sure all the screws were tight and in place and was going to look into repairing/replacing the switch.  Turned the sander right side up. Heard a "tink"  The key was laying on the bench!!!!  Being we live on a river my decision was whether to drown it or toss it in the trash.  My smarter side took over and I set it aside for the day.  This may have been he problem from the start. Maybe someone with more experience can be of assistance. It still sits on the other bench and I glare at it occasionally  I now call it my Triton Boat Anchor just in case.  I think my next step may be to JB Weld the key in place and sorta of force it to work

PS I did read on one forum that Triton no longer has parts or supports this sander and as of yet I have seen nothing to dispute that statement.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: More Spindle sander Woes Triton this time
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:31:31 pm »
Billy,  is it a Woodruff key?  My recollection is that a Woodruff key is sort of a half moon shape and fits into a similarly shape slot in the shaft - you have to pull the shaft to get it out.  Is your key rectangular or square?  Some of those have a small set screw to hold them in place or they may be an interference fit.  In any case they shouldn't be able to fall out.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
Can you drill it, tap it, and put in a set screw?
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:42 pm »
It is a woodruff Key, half moon shape. The round part is in the shaft and "keys" into the hard plastic pulley.  Works great upside down!!!.  There are two plastic pulleys with (for lack of a better explanation) two bumps on each pulley. the "bumps rotate with the pulley and cause the occilation.  When it warms up later this week, I hope to check out where and when the key falls out.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:18 pm »
A woodruff key is designed to never fall out.  The manufacturer must have machined a horrendous fit between the pulley & shaft.

A.  Enlarge the key.  (Put groves in it with the jaws of a vise grip)(Strike it with center punch)(Flatten part of it with blows from a hammer.  It will fly into the neighbors yard when you hit it on another steel surface.  Be sure you contain it & wear eye protection).

B.  Cut up a soda/beer can (consume contents first  :D )

1.  Cut a strip the width of the woodruff key, letting it extent into the pulley first.

2.  Wrap a little of it around the shaft.  Leave some stick out on the end of the shaft. Taper that part, insert it into the pulley AND GENTLY force the shaft into the pulley.

I cannot stress enough that you need to experiment with small pieces. If the key falls out again, keep trying slightly larger shims.  If you apply excessive force, your pulley will easily split and you will use words that should not be posted on the site.

jerry 

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:36:31 am »
Thanks  Jerry   Calling for  Get in the shop weather by the weekend so maybe I will get a chance to give it another look.  Hopefully if the day is really  nice, I will want to look at it with something other than a  sledge hammer!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:13 pm »
The woodruff key is designed to fit in a half moon shaped slot with out sliding out, then said pulley slides down over the key keeping the pulley on, and should be a snug fit. If it falls out the bottom of the slot the key fits in is open letting the key slide out like a regular shaft key. If pulley is plastic you can use a small allen screw to screw into the pulley, you can also make the allen screw a self drilling screw to make threads into the plastic enough to hold the woodruff key in place.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »
I would drill a hole in the pulley and put a set screw and use some locktite on the screw and woodruff key.  I have never seen a pulley and key without a set screw. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 05:42:03 pm »
You know might even just skip the key and drill a hole and use a set screw to hold them pulley on, or use both having the set screw as a back up.

SMF

Teknoromi