Author Topic: Cutting Azek  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Cutting Azek
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:39 am »
I was given an small (3"-12" 1/2 inch thick) piece of a material called Azek.  It is a pvc material. Smells just like pvc pipe when cut.  I did a test cut with packing tape on one side and the material welded (melted) back together. I then slowed down the speed in steps until I was as the slowest speed and still got welding to where it was very difficult( or impossible) to remove the cut piece. That was with a #3 FDUR blade.  Put tape on both sides and switched to a #7  - better but still not good. Went to a #9 blade and the results were better, but still had to really force the piece out.   Today I plan to try blue tape both side and clear tape over that.   Has anyone cut this material?   Are there better blades to use?
I have customer that wants his sailboat name in 6' letters and Old English ( or some fancy font  his woods not mine). Just looking for some advice.  Thanks in advance.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Cutting Azek
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:15:27 am »
I built a deck from Azek a few years ago (not using a scroll saw!). It holds up very well and cleans easily. It is PVC with consistent color all the way through and is easy to clean. We had no cutting problems using normal circular and chop saws (1/8" kerf).

You might try (1) cutting at a bevel so you can force the cut out of the blank or (2) cutting with a spiral blade to get a wider kerf.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:09 am »
Hi Billy,
You use the wrong blade for that. The best blade to use is the FD-Polar # 5.
Call or email me.
FD Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:09 am »
Teher you have it!

The best advice from the SOURCE!

Are they really 6' letters or 6" letters?
If just outline or silhouette cuts I would think a Polar #7 or #9 would work at low speed.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:52:58 pm »
Mike  Thanks.  They will be on my next order. 

Ray   Did you use any of the sheet goods?    They come in 3/8 1/2/ 3/4 and 1 inch thick.  Oh and as for color in the sheet goods, if you like white, you are good to go. 

GB  That would be 6 inches I hate it when an apostrophe falls off

Are there any comparable products that anyone knows of?
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »
I used 3/4" x 6" x 16' boards for my deck, but I have used the sheet stuff on the job. It's expensive but doesn't ever need paint. I have not tried to cut it on the scroll saw, but I know it is soft and I can believe it would melt as you go. Did you try the spirals to get more kerf?

You might get jiggy with it and try putting a piece in the freezer before you cut it. It would be more brittle and might clear chips better, and the cold material will absorb some of the heat from cutting so it does not weld back together as easily. Just a guess, but maybe worth trying.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

SMF

Teknoromi