Author Topic: Table Height  (Read 2696 times)

Offline busco

• View Profile
Table Height
« on: December 20, 2015, 08:10:14 pm »
My wife surprised with with an early Christmas gift.  A Delta 40-694 scroll saw.  Now due to a mild heart attack on the 4th of this month I can't put it together(weight restrictions) until my brother in law arrives for Christmas.  But here is the reason for the post.  I need to build a stand for the saw before he arrives.  I have seen posts here talking of table height and angle of the table but I can't locate them.  Can anybody give me a hand on these and much thanks in advance.
Bill

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Table Height
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 08:24:31 pm »
I think the ideal height should be where the table is slightly below your elbows. This what you will have less stress on your back and shoulders. The actual height could be different if you are sitting or standing.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:22:58 am »
It also depends on whether you intend to sit or stand.  I'm a stander.  I occasionally sit on a stool adjusted to the height of the table.  Many scrollers are sitters. 

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 10:40:05 am »
The height would depend upon your position while cutting but should be at a comfortable position.  The back can be raised from 2-4" inches again depending on comfort for you.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 11:13:42 am »
Ergonomics experts suggest the scrollsaw table should be very close to the level of your elbow (as Dan suggested). So if you stand use that measurement, or sit use that one. My scrollsaw has a stand used for standing, however I prefer to sit so I have an adjustable draftsman's chair so I can sit at a standing height. 
Bill

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:44 pm »
Thanks folks, guess I'll go out and do some measuring
Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:26:23 am »
Good plan, Bill.  Measure twice...well, you know the rest.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:46:33 am »
If you sit, it really helps to get a chair with adjustable height.  A couple years ago, they were replacing a bunch of old work station stools, at work.  They were in decent shape, except for the upholstery.  I snagged one and added some more padding to the seat, re-covered it and it has made scrolling so much more enjoyable.  It's on wheels, so I can easily move about the work area.  It swivels and has hydraulic height adjustment, so I can go from saw height to bench height quickly.  Beats the hard/fixed stool I used to use by a country mile.

I've found that for the way I work, having adjustable height is critical.  When working on larger projects, I like to sit up a little higher.  It makes it easier to maneuver the piece around the saw.  When cutting small, detailed projects, I like to sit a little lower, so I'm not hunched over so much (wearing my glasses helps as well   ;D )  Bottom line is that with an adjustable chair, it doesn't really matter as much how high the saw stand is.  You simply adjust the chair for maximum comfort.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi