Author Topic: Table saw tech. Help!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Table saw tech. Help!
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:18:45 pm »
I have some small boxes with scroll sawn lids - I'd like to make. The scrolling - no problem. My table saw is the question. I'm to grove the six separate sides to receive the top for the lid and the six sides for the bottom. My problem is setting the height of my datto. After doing test runs and I restart my saw the blade desires to pick a new height. I can't find any adjustment or knob to secure my setting.  Any advice? Thanks Brian

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: Table saw tech. Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:33:56 pm »
Not sure what table saw you have but there is usually a crank handle to adjust the blade height. It should not change on its own. If it is loose  you need to adjust or repair the saw.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:43:36 pm »
I agree with herrwood on the table saw.  Personally if you have a router and a router table that would work just as well if not better than the table saw.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:16:11 am »
I agree that this sounds like a mechanical flaw in the saw.  Do you have the owners manual or can you find a PDF of it online?  Perhaps a call to the manufacturer's tech service dept?  This sounds like an unsafe situation and I would be hesitant to use the saw until it's understood what is happening.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:46 am »
There might be a blade height lock mechanism on the saw. On my old Craftsman, there is a lock lever right up under the underside of the table.  Tightening that prevents the blade height from changing.

Maybe you have something like that on your saw.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:04:31 am »
Fella's -Thanks for your input & safty concerns but I have been using this Grizzle saw for 20 years now and the blade height movement hasn't been a problem because all I've used it for is cross tableing or ripping. For the first time, I want to put my datto blades in and put a 1/4" grove in a 1/2" thick board. I find if the knob on the height adjustment wheel is somewhere other than at 12 or 6 o'clock, the weight of the nob settles ( turns ) back towards 6 o'clock. My dad taught my to always bring my bland up to it's setting and still I find I lose 1/32 (give or take). I may be reaching the limit of a moderately price saw but I'm not about to replace it with a more expensive saw. Thanks for your inputs.  Cheers Brian

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:19:36 pm »
No one was suggesting you replace the saw but the blade should not drop. Maybe  a simple adjustment. If its a 20 year old griz then I guess its a contractor style saw so unplug the saw and get under it see what needs to be adjusted. Or see if you can get a manual the saw, most likely will need a tuneup after 20 years. I would 1st contact Grizzly's customer service and see if they can send you a manual. IIf not look for a similar saw on their site these saws have not changed that much in 20 years and download a copy of a manual for a similar saw.

Here is a link to a basic tuneup might not solve your problem but this is worth a read for most table saw owners
http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/pdf/articleIndex2/244/45-Tablesaw%20Tune%20up-3.pdf

SMF

Teknoromi