Author Topic: RBI Hawk users - Help  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
RBI Hawk users - Help
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:23:48 pm »
Just picked up a used Hawk and am not to enthralled with blade clamping and tension methods.  I thought once the rear tension cam was set all one had to do was use the front tension lever to release the blade [along with the blade screw].  However, I'm finding the rear needs to be readjusted on a regular bases.  Not exactly a time saving design.  The Saw is about a '96 with only about 20 hrs. time on it. I'm pretty used my problem is with the operator. :P  PLEASE share your expertise.  Thanks in advance    Brian

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: RBI Hawk users - Help
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:20:56 am »
You didn't mention which model # you have.  I have had 2 different models over the years, and love my RBI's.  Yes, the tension must be adjusted when you change a blade, but it is very simple to do, and I think people make too much fuss over it anyway.  You can certainly do it by sound, and Steve has an app on the website to guide you.  Other than that, heavier blades need more tension than smaller ones.  If you are breaking blades frequently, you may be tensioning too much.  If you can push a blade very far off center with relatively little pressure from your finger, then you are likely too light on the tension.  Play with it for awhile and you will learn its abilities and tendencies.  They truly are one of the best saws on the market.  You mentioned you didn't like the blade clamps, but I have tried others and like them fine.  If they are hard on your fingers, fill a small bottle cap with epoxy, then place the thumbscrew of the clamp into the epoxy and allow it to cure.  The bottle cap becomes a clamp nut that is easy to use.

BTW: My first rbi was a 16 inch and my current one is a 26 inch.  Both variable speed.

Let me know any specific problems you have and I would be happy to address them with you.  If you prefer you can email me at wmurphy1@tampabay.rr.com instead of using the forum.

BilltheDiver
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »
Is the rear adjustment moving on its own or is it just that different sized blades require different settings? Next time you adjust, try some masking tape to mark its position and see if it changes on its own. If it's moving on its own, you might try some duct tape to hold it in place, or add a mechanical holder.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:44:28 pm »
 you can get a manual on your saw from RBI. all you need is the serial number. it should tell
you about adjusting the rear knob. they also have a few videos. these may or may not help you
pozsgai designs has some after market stuff for RBI saws. if you have any questions call & talk
to Frank. he has phone # on his site. good person .what model saw do you have?  termite

Offline rickther

• eureka ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:02:02 am »
It can be a pain if you vary your blades much. I tend to stay right about 2/0 and 3/0 and don't touch the adjustment at all.
Like has been said see if it is wandering, the cam lock on the back may be worn. I put a very thin fiber washer under mine.
 Rick
RBI VS 26

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:24 pm »
Howdy! I would have to say the RBI Hawk line of scroll saws are the Cadillac of scroll saws, my friend. I have a 220VS myself, & have recently had similar issues. From experience, it sounds like you're blade tightening set up may need some adjusting, or, the cam inside the blade release is shot. First, take a look underneath your blade release. If there is a small brass colored hex screw under there, you may have some salvation. Get yourself a 3/32" Allen wrench, and try to turn the wrench to the right. Just a little at a time. W/O a blade, move your blade release. When you begin to tighten this adjustment screw, you should start to feel some resistance in the blade release handle. Don't get to much on it. Try that. If that don't do solve your issue, my advice would be to call Hawk, & ask for Nicole. You're going to need some parts, brother. You shouldn't have to adjust blade tension that often, UNLESS you're using various blade sizes. If you have further questions or problems, feel free to pm me anytime. Hopefully I helped ya a little. Enjoy the day.
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi