Author Topic: Delta Blade holder - help!  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Delta Blade holder - help!
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:11 pm »
Read about the upper blade hold on the Dewalt and replacement.  Has anyone faced that stripped out condition on a Delta 40-690?  I went on Deltaportacable.com but they don't recongese my model.  I'd rather buy a replacement than learn new mechanist skills.  Thanks in advance  Brian

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Delta Blade holder - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:51 pm »
Brian what model Delta?  Have you tried Ereplacementparts.com for the parts you need?

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:55:45 pm »
Brian, the 40-690 and the Dewalt DW788 are identical.  If you can find the corresponding part for the 788, it will fit your 690. 

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 12:10:06 pm »
Here is what I did on a different make of saw.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHRYPCJtzQ     Went to a bike shop and showed them a picture of what I wanted.  They sold me a used part for a dollar.  The "bolt/screw" was much thinner than the video shows.  Took it to a machine shop.  They sawed off the excess length & treaded it.  $10.  Bought a nut & washer from a hardware store.

Do yourself a favor and go this route.

I clamp the lever about 45 degrees back, so that I don't put pressure on the holder, either sideways or front to back.  It works great and I think it should almost last forever.

jerry

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:11:53 pm »
Jerry- I watched the suggested video. Unfortunately my top clamp does not squeeze tight to hold the blade. Rather, it is a yoke with a set screw on one side of the yoke and a winged "bolt" coming from the other side - to meet the blade somewhere in the center of the fixed yoke.  The good news with all your help I have order a new part.  The bad news :'( both the Dewalt & Delta are out of stock on this part. I have a feeling I will not be scrolling for a month.  :'( :'( :'(   I told myself - it'll be ok - I can clean up the shop & finish some of the projects I've cut but not finished finishing. I've spent ONE DAY doing that and concluded I need to ask for mental health consulting next. I can feel the anxiety level building rapidly.

SMF

Teknoromi