Author Topic: Hole repair  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Hole repair
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:18:54 pm »
Started one of Sheila Landry 's Self framing projects. Of course it requires a blank entry hole [angled] to cut out the center part. I found that I don't like the size of my entry hole. It is small but I would like to fill it.  I've saved some of the maple saw dust for mixing with glue. Now here's the question.  What glues have been tried that don't show up?  I will not be staining this, only applying a clear sealer.  Thanks for any input in advance     Brian

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Hole repair
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:53 pm »
I use Gorilla Glue for wood. (The WHITE one, not the AMBER colored one!) It dries clear and is super strong. 

Let me know how you do. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:26:48 pm »
If you decide to try a wood filler, I have had great success with the Timbermate brand.  It comes precolored in a variety but also stains well and sands well. Better than any I've tried.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:31:40 am »
I use Elmer's white glue mixed with sanding powder from, my orbital sander.  Not sawdust.  Saw dust is not fine enough to work well.  It may take more than one coat of this mixture because it shrinks a bit as it dries.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:14:53 am »
Welbond works good too, dries clear, and is strong. wood filler works good also.  edward

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:46:17 am »
Aileen's tacky clear glue works great as well and dries clear.  I also use the sanding "powder" from my RO sander or from under my scroll saw.  I keep ziplock bags of different species so it is pure.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »
Another little tip you may use.  I put a piece of tape over the hole I want to repair, make sure it is really tight against the wood, then poke the hole thru the tape with a small awl or even a toothpick.  Then you apply the mix of glue and sawdust in the hole, let it dry real good.  Remove the tape, touch it with a little sanding and VOLA.  After a while you won't be able to find the hole.  Good Luck
:) :) :)

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »
Thanks for all the repair pointers. I finally found Gorilla white glue - also clear.  And I'm glad you pointed out orbital sander powder Jim.  As for the tape over the hole ChuckD - my hole to be repaired is half on my plate rim and half on the plate center cut out. I want to repair the voids before I assemble the unit.  BUT I'm glad you brought up your technique. I'm putting that one in the back of mind. Sure hope is doesn't get lost. Thanks again everybody.  Brian

Shogun

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:00:02 am »
You could also do this without glue, simply take an iron, lay a damp towel over the hole with the iron on top. If the hole is small the steam should close it up.

SMF

Teknoromi