Author Topic: Scroll saw Wearables  (Read 2429 times)

dirts

Scroll saw Wearables
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:53:11 pm »
My first plan was to make woodcuts and print t-shirts but after some research a light came on.  Scroll saw patterns are basically woodcuts.
My wife does not like scroll saw in public view in the house to I thought if I can't hang it I will wear it.  I cut the patterns out of 1/4 inch plywood.  I then mount 1/2 plywood on the back for grip when pulling off the pattern.  I like patterns that do not have fine line cuts or if they are they have to wide enough so the paint doesn't fill them in.  I did a bass pattern that had alot of fine cuts so when I pulled the pattern the shirt design lost reality.
I use tulip fabric paint that I add Allienes fabric adhesive to.  I squirt it on the pattern and then roll it.  I roll the paint horizonal so I sometimes get a grain effect in the patterns.  I have cut all of Lora Irishs patterns in her North American wildlife book.  I enlarged a kayaker pattern and cut.  It covers the whole chest area and its awesome.  The patterns should cure for 72 hrs.  I found a metal cut Bluegrass band that I just woodcut and put on a shirt.  I have even tried Acrylic paints for variety of colors and added the adhesive.  I hold shirt and peel off in the opposite direction.  If I am not happy with the print I immediately throw the shirt in the washer with Mr. Clean.  Back prints make more contact when you sit down or lean against a wall.  I also put some of Roshaan Ganief patterns on shirts.  The tree of life pattern and asian gold coin design.  I have enjoyed this new path.

I have even put feathers one on each of the chest and have even put them on the shoulders
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:03:41 pm by dirts »

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
Re: Scroll saw Wearables
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:18 am »
Hi dirts:
Good idea
Can you post a few pictures of your work
Thanks
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:09:14 am »
pics - or it isn't real ;)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:37 pm »
Now you've gone and got me excited about trying something new!!!
I too would like to see some pictures of your work and more of how you do it.
What are you talking about when you mention "back prints and sitting down or leaning against a wall"?
Have you tried making lettering and numbers for putting quotes or names on shirts?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

dirts

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:03:14 pm »
Friction or rubbing against the pattern.  Leaning back into a chair or against a wall.  Thats just a thought but I don't think its a concern.  If you add the fabric adhesive to the paint I'm thinking they are concrete durable.
I forgot to mention to put a piece of cardboard between the layers of shirts.
Also how the pattern prints is the result.  Its a woodcut print so don't expect a perfect solid imprint; its art.  My first print I went back and tried to touch up and it looked terrible.  Put the ink on thick as you can with a roller or you can sponge it on.   Look on u tube for fabric printing videos.
I wash my patterns after every print.  I use a brush with diluted Mr. Clean.  Make sure your hands do not have paint on them when pressing print because it might transfer.
Photos I have never done.  I can tell you that my friends tell me that I should sell them and if they did not look great I would have stopped along time ago.
Today I printed off the jumping bass because it has wide cuts, the peace sign with the word peace and the recycle congress for shirt patterns.
I also found a half moon/half sun pattern on this site that would look awesome on a shirt.  Wall accent patterns are great.
You can do a Hawian shirt with patterns repeated all over a shirt. Golf balls,Golf clubs, bluegills, bobbers etc.

Food for thought: printing patterns on a wall

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:34:38 pm by dirts »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:22 am »
Dirts,
They used to and may still - sell rollers to print (paint actually) designs on walls I think it was called something like liquid wall paper or some such.
They had a number of different designs you could buy, and roll to your hearts content. Or till your arm and the walls gave out. LOL
Your idea sounds neat in that you can create the design you want yourself.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

dirts

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:45:40 am »
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:49:39 am by dirts »

dirts

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:44:38 am »
For a permanant bond I would only use Tulip fabric paint with Alenes washable adhesive added to it.  Screen Printers use Permanant brand paint but its expensive and I can only see that it comes in large quantities.
Thanks Steve for the United States Navy Veteran pattern.  I'm going to put that on the front of a shirt with the three porposes jumping on the back.  I got that from marine life pattern book.
Have a great day.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:49:44 am by dirts »

SMF

Teknoromi