Author Topic: waterproofing cedar????  (Read 711 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
waterproofing cedar????
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
Hi folks, I just completed an outdoor project where I used cedar instead of the usual pressure treated material :D. My understanding about cedar is that it resists water and will not rot like pine or spruce, so do I need to use a water seal on the project. I am sure one of you learned individuals would know the answer to that question.. ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Chachi

Re: waterproofing cedar????
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:32:02 pm »
Not really a water seal exactly but you do need a sealent for it so it can stand the sun and bugs along with snow and ice....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »
I have cedar decking  for our patio deck, it turns silvery after a while and we like the effect as it goes with the log cabin. The only problem is during the rainy season ir grows a mold that is slick as ice. Haven't tried to coat it as other things keep coming up. We put out a runner to the front door so guests won't slip and fall.
Yep it has happened. Scared the crap out of me, she is one of my wife's best friends lucky just a bruise or 2.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:48:34 am »
 I built a wind mill for our back yard out of what Lowe's calls cedar. It is really fir/cedar for fencing.
My first one, I did not finish at all and it lasted 4 or 5 years until the wind took it down for the last time this spring.
 My second one (at the request of my wife) I put a coat of shellac on and it is keeping the color better. I know it will not last but, I really like the silver/grey color better anyway. It will split as it dries out as well as change color but, I anchored this one down much better to fight the Kansas winds.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SheGold

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:18:06 pm »
Rog love the windmill.. Sheila in Tx

SMF

Teknoromi