Author Topic: Metal Cutting...anyone else?  (Read 4090 times)

marmoh

Re: Metal Cutting...anyone else?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:24 am »
Very nice work.  You'll have to educate some of us on the difference between cutting metal and wood ???

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »
Did you paint the ones that look white? or is it just the light reflecting?

I have done a couple of small things with metal, and used it in a couple of jewelry pieces.

Offline scrollsaw22

• View Profile
    • Phillip's Scrolling
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:59:51 pm »
Awesome, I have never cut metal, What type of blades did you use and at what speed did you set your saw at?

Mike
Mike, I use the Jewelers Blades from Sloan's Woodshop (http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/scroll_saw_blades.htm).  Size 1-JW and 2-JW.  Most things I found cut the best with the 1-JW because it is smaller and turns the corners better without binding.  Saw is set at the lowest speed, which makes it kind of timely on thicker metals.  Most alum I have cut is .050 inches.  Make sure you tape both front and back (I just use masking tape) so it gives enough to lubricate the blade.  You will definitely break blades, but at $12.00 per gross, they are cheap compared to wood blades.  Can't push it much with those blades either or they will just break.  It's weird, but you can hear the pitch of the blade change just before it breaks.  I actually like cutting metals better since there really is no dust, but it makes a mess of the table and I usually have to clean it and rewax the table after doing it...main reason I purchased another saw so someday when I get more shop space, to mount it to have a seperate wood and metal saws.

Did you paint the ones that look white? or is it just the light reflecting?
mrsn...The aluminum is PPW (pre-painted white) and I purchased from a semi-trailer manufacturer.  They use it for the sides of trailers.  Just got some of their scrap pieces...almost out again, so have to get some more.  Good thing about this is it comes with a protective plastic coating that you can spray on adhesive, stick the pattern on, cut it out and then peel the coating with pattern off very clean when done.

Only other thing I can think of right off on metals is you will have to sand the backs of all (leaves little burs that come off rather quick) and on brass and copper, sand with very fine grit to get a good shine and then spray with clear coat.  Otherwise, every time you touch with your finger, the oil in your hands will tarnish.  Also will tarnish in general in very short time.

Now that everyone is bored to death...I'll quit typing   ;D

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 12:55:55 am »
Certainly not 'boring' when we are LEARNING!

That metal at .050" is very thin...
Did you back them up with any kind of wood behind them to keep from bending while cutting?

As I said above I have a whole 'highway caution sign' coming to my garage over the next weekend and I will be doing some of this 'metal cutting' although much thicker!
I guess I better check out the various types of blades to be used for this 'adventure' of mine.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollsaw22

• View Profile
    • Phillip's Scrolling
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »
GB...the .050 aluminum is pretty stiff, so it doesn't bend like you would think.  I have done some very thin brass that I used double-sided tape to tape to a 1/8" pice of plywood to cut.  Other than that, I just cut the metal itself.  If you are going thicker, be prepared to break some blades as they don't give much and the more you twist them around the faster they loose their edges and break.  Just make sure to tape!  Good luck  ;)

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 07:37:00 pm »
scrollsaw22, thank you for that great information, I have saved it for future reference.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 08:39:47 pm »
Does anyone make a spiral blade for metal?

I went to my local pawn shop and bought some interesting foreign coins with the intent of cutting them out like Steve did in his demo video where he shows how to make a holder for coins.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi