Author Topic: Latest (not so greatest) work  (Read 2572 times)

saggioculo

Latest (not so greatest) work
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:09:42 am »
I'm still practicing.  Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Latest (not so greatest) work
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:26:46 am »
Honestly they look great.  Only you are aware of any "mistakes".  Keep making them and you will get much better and make fewer "Mistakes".  A pattern is not a bible that you have to follow religiously but a guide.  I know form my own works that seldom do I follow a pattern exactly, I make changes to suit the wood, my skill level etc.  Most of us judge ourselves too hard.  Thanks for sharing your works with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »
They look fine to me also. They are clean, simple and recognizable. As you gain experience you will be able to progress to more intricate portraits.
As DW said, the pattern is a guide, and can be adapted. With the intricate portraits I do I often have to make adjustment for the fact that I am using 'spiral blades' so I don't destroy some of the finer details. I may extend a particular cut or even eliminate it completely depending on wood, blade, pattern and my ability.
Usually once the pattern is removed even WE won't know that the change was made.
One other suggestion is that you do your portraits in a STACK!
I never cut less than 2 thicknesses of wood just so I have better control of the blade. My current project is a portrait of a large 'feline' and my stack consists of 1 -1/4", 2 - 1/8" BB and a 1/8" piece of Sandeply as the backer and potential 'throwaway'. I am now at 120 cuts and should finish today with about 45 more cuts and I have had to do a LOT of 'creative cutting' to make all the details come together.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

saggioculo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 12:10:57 pm »
Thanks so much for you comments and advice.  Can you explain this "stack" cutting your talking about?  I've recently started using pinless spiral blades and simply can not follow the lines.  I'm using 1/4 pine plywood and I'm having an awful time using those blades for finer cuts.

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
To be your first practice, are very well done, it shows that you're very talented. ;)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »
They all look great, nice work. As you practice, practice, practice you will only get better, better, better. We where all beginners at one time.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »
Go to the Top Right Hand Corner of this page and do a SEARCH for "stack cutting" and you should get all kinds of posts on the subject!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

saggioculo

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:27 pm »
Thank you...you're all awesome!!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »
Thanks so much for you comments and advice.  Can you explain this "stack" cutting your talking about?  I've recently started using pinless spiral blades and simply can not follow the lines.  I'm using 1/4 pine plywood and I'm having an awful time using those blades for finer cuts.

As with anything worth while spirals take practice using them.  Practice on scrap and use the spiral as you would a normal blade; IE turn the work and cut in the normal manner, at least at first.  You will find that on most saws spirals cut better in one direction than the others.  I was like you at first I could not follow a line with a spiral blade until I got enough practice.  Some folks will tell you that spirals were made by the devil.  Personally as your cutting skills increase you will find that spirals have their use but not for everything.

As for stack cutting if you are making more than one of an item and the wood you are using is not thick, less than 1/4 or so then you can stack two boards on top of each other and then either tape, nail or hot glue them together.  Apply the pattern then cut it as you would for one.  When you are done you well have two completed works for the cutting of one.  One caveat though you have to watch your thickness.  Most of us don't like to stack cut more than 1 inch or so, most of the time less.

Hope this answers your questions.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

countryscroller

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »
Those are great pieces of work! My only critique is the outer edges don't look uniform or square. No biggy. But other than that those are very good cutting quality.

smitty0312

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:32 am »
Pretty good work to me, keep cutting and the results will show.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 10:03:48 am »
Yep, looking pretty nice, and they will get better the more you do.  I look at some of the stuff I did at the beginning, and now - what a difference.

Keep going, you are doing well.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

saggioculo

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:02:04 pm »
You are all awesome!  Thanks so very much for all the advice.  I am having trouble with the spiral blade, but I was fussing with the tension on my saw and it appears to have some wearing down on a washer.  I'm replacing the washer today and see how things work.
Thanks again for all your comments and advice!
Anne

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 02:57:29 pm »
You're doing quite well, and as others have pointed out, you are tour own worst critic. A couple months ago I did a portrait of "The Beatles" (stacked three high) and as I was 98% done, one small slip of the spiral, and Pauls' jaw fell out. I almost threw them across the room. I continued on to finish them since I'd gone so far..... Sold all three, nobody knew.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 10:20:51 pm »
keep up the good work with practice come perfection.i'm not there yet but your on the way with a good start.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

SMF

Teknoromi