Author Topic: Setup and practising  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
Setup and practising
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:03 am »
G'day all, well our property has now been sun baked after our heavy rain and the mud's gone. I've built a scroll saw table plus a wooden cover for when it's not in use to keep the mud fly's out. My biggest problem here is mud fly's that like to build nests in my electric drills etc. Brought a small bit of 6mm ply, drew a small horse on it. Tried to let the blade do the work but being a little heavy handed the horse ended up without a tail, a caved in forehead and missing one front leg. I think I'm cutting on too lower speed and I've gotta learn to let the blade do the work rather than having my hands pushing. It'll come in time but thus far I am a little worried about me fingers. Might be a small blade but it wouldn't take much to nip a finger off. Don't hold your breath all, gunna be sometime before I make something that's worth showing, after all Roman wasn't built in a day. Cheers all..... Kevy.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: Setup and practising
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:34 am »
Dang them mud flys.  Yeah, keep working on it, it will come with more practice.

Unless you are really pushing hard, I wouldn't get overly worried about hitting the blade.  I have nicked the blade a few times and have yet to break the skin, rough it up a shade, but have never cut through.

Keep pressin' on mate, and enjoy the time at the saw.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:00 am »
I've never cut myself either. With most small blades you would really have to force your appendage onto the blade to break skin. Also you may need to tighten your blade a bit and up your saw speed. Do those to things and take your time and you'll be. On your way!

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »
I agree with daliclimbs, make sure the blade tension is ok, and turn the speed up a little, you arent likely to cut your fingers on the blade, I keep mine about 1/4" either side of the blade when cutting fine work to stop it "bouncing" and to give it a little support, I have touched the blade several times and have yet to break the skin. Keep practising and the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:53:36 pm »
I agree with all!  Don't be afraid of the blade!  I've bumped it more times than I can count!  Never done anything more than leave a scuff on my fingernail!  I think you have to push your finger against the blade and hold it there before you'd do any real damage!  Just keep practicing, it'll come to ya!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »
Your natural instincts will NOT let you do major damage with a scrollsaw blade. The instant you touch the blade your instincts will kick in and you will pull your hand away from the blade! I have given myself what I call a "Scroller's Manicure" on many occasions and have never done any more damage than to nick a fingernail.

Greater speed will do wonders for your cuttings.

Good firm TENSION, FAST Speed and SLOOOOW Feed will go a long way!
This is especially true if you decide to try Spiral Blades!!!

AND learn to "Stack Cut"!

Just show that blade who is BOSS and keep on trying!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi