Author Topic: Age to start on scroll saw?  (Read 8793 times)

Dawie

Age to start on scroll saw?
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »
As I have no kids of myself I was wondering what a good/safe age is to start a kid using a scroll saw. The eldest son of friends of mine 9 years old is absolutely fascinated by what I make, he wants to come over with his dad to see how everything works. I still have a handsaw about, so we could have fun with that, but I was just wondering. He is a serious kid and normally does not try to do things he does not trust himself with.
Any guidelines on this will be helpful, Would hate to see the kid getting hurt or put off scrolling for life.
David

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Age to start on scroll saw?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »
Be his mentor Dawie.  Along with seeing the joy that some of your project have brought others, starting a level headed youth into woodworking could bring you & him even greater joys.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:44:33 pm »
I don't think there is a specific age as much as it is dependent on the individual kid.  Some kids are able to operate farm machinery at 10 and others shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car at 16.

IMHO, scrollsaws are probably the safest power tool there is.  It's tough to get hurt very seriously on one, compared to other woodworking machinery.  That said, safety is nothing to take lightly, so of course caution is required, especially with young kids. 

Given the description you gave of the young man, it sounds to me like he should be capable, with proper supervision and safety instruction, of making some sawdust with a scroll saw.  Check with his Dad for permission and to see what he thinks.  I think scrolling is the perfect introduction to woodworking & power tools for kids, simply because it is reasonably safe and pretty fun.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:18:22 pm »
I started my daughter at age 11. She did great but was a little afraid of it. Just a girl thing I think. She learned it is a fun tool and i taught her the dangers of it. Although the danger is small with this tool there is danger with all tools. I believe if you teach him right and find a simple pattern for him to cut, he will enjoy it and learn from it. I to believe this is one of the safest tools there is to use. Have fun and good luck

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:19:54 pm »
I agree with Bill, at 9 he should be able to be mentored properly to operated a scroll saw, with emphasis on safety and building good habits. Teaching young children responsibility is a great thing, and scrolling would be a great addition.

I'm a firm believer that kids should be taught as soon as possible. My son, by the age of 10, has already operated a scroll saw, and other power tools, as well as welding, routine maintenace on his dire bike, etc. Again, with EMPHASIS on SAFETY. If the child is able, start him/her learning to work with their hands.

Good luck!!!

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »
Thanks all I will have a word with his parents and see what they say before I promise the kid anything.
David

Oges

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »
With the proper supervision and guidance I cant see there being a problem starting at 9.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:50:11 pm »
I started my grand daughter at 11 and in a few days she was cutting simple items with no problems. I think at nine he should be able to start.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:01:40 pm »
I let my 3 year old sit on my lap while I scroll, but his attention span was like 30 seconds.
At school I teach woodshop to 6-8 graders, 11-13 years.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:17:30 am »
My grandson had just turned 8 when he started and I always make sure the the hold down is on for him.  My granddaughter can't wait until its her turn.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:39:02 am »
The scrollsaw was actually the first powertool I owned.  My Dad bought me one at a young age and I used it for several years.  It was a Sears unit termed a "vibrator scrollsaw".  The blade travel was so short you could hold your finger against the blade without being cut.  It wouldn't cut anything at all thick and used pin end blades, but I sure chewed up a lot of 1/4 inch plywood with it.  BTW, that was in the 1960's.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

DaveP

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 04:18:57 am »
I'm not sure that the 'age' is the most relevant part, its the level and skill of the supervision that's important.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:13:52 am »
I got my 1st saw for Christmas when I was 13.  That was back in the 50's.  Still have all my fingers.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:34 am »
I used to teach a group of cub scouts (ages 8-11) at the Home Depot.  They got the basics of hand and power tools and did get hands on on drills, miter saws, and yes, a scroll saw.  That was by far their favorite and many of them came back in to ask questions.  If a kid has the curiosity and the want to, go for it.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »
i think 4 years old is a good start..   I started when i was 7 years old..
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

SMF

Teknoromi