Author Topic: Newbie at puzzles  (Read 2794 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Newbie at puzzles
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:47:33 pm »
It was a toss - up whether I posted this in this forum or toys... this forum won. I tried cutting a couple of puzzles today out of 3/8th's MDF rather than 1/4 in. stock. Several pieces were "sticky" and I had to run them back through the saw a couple of times. (Did I say I was using Mike's Puzzle blades?) Am I doing myself a disservice using 3/8th's stock rather than the 1/4 in. Steve recommends... does it make that much difference? Should my blade be tighter or more loose than I usually set it? Should I be running the saw fast or slow? Generally I'm pretty satisfied and it's not a total disaster, but improvement is definitely required! Any and all suggestions welcome - thank you.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Newbie at puzzles
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:18:42 am »
I find the puzzle blades hard to use.  I would use a larger blade for 3/8" stock.  Move up to a #1 reverse tooth blade and see what that does for you.  You should still get a tight fit without the binding pieces.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:21:20 am »
What style puzzle are you making out of MDF?  A photo attached to the front surface may be okay but standup style puzzles you may find to fragile.  MDF is not as forgiving as plywood.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:26:25 am »
Thank you both. Julie, I took your suggestion and although some are still a bit "sticky" the problem isn't as bad. Any ideas why they go in from the front o.k. but not through the back? Cheers, Barry.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:39:35 pm »
If the pieces are not moving freely both ways you might have your table not aligned square with the blade or since you are using a fine blade you might be applying pressure slightly sideways of how you are cutting your pieces.  Try a #3 blade with good tension on it on a scrap piece of the wood you want to make your puzzle from.  I think you will find that the pieces will slide freely both ways.  The pieces may have too much play for you, some experimentation would be in order.  Different blades have different cutting kerfs,( the amount of wood removed )as well as blades from different manufacturers.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 06:51:28 am »
Exactly what DW said.  If your table is square, chances are you are pushing the blade.  Try the next size up.  I have done that so many times.  You get so involved with staying on your line, you tend to push or rush the turns.  It's a practice thing.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 10:40:37 am »
Thank you. Those puzzle blades are as fine as hairs and as flexible. I did try a slightly larger blade and had more success. I have to remember not to force the blade - practice, practice, practice. Cheers, Barry.

SMF

Teknoromi