Author Topic: Hollow doors - A cheap source of wood blanks?  (Read 3477 times)

Malistar22

Hollow doors - A cheap source of wood blanks?
« on: January 21, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »
Ok, this is a weird one I know, but I'm a cheap SoB and an avid fan of the 3 R's (reuse, recycle, and repurpose). So we have a reStore in my city. If you are unfamiliar with this, it's Habitat for Humanities' store, where they get donated hardware and other 'stuff', much like a Goodwill, but for home furnishings and such. Well, they sell interior hollow doors for about 5 bucks each. Yes, that's not a typo. Theoretically, I could get two 4x8 sheets for 5 bucks.

However, this veneer isn't your typical stuff we use to scroll with. It seems to peel and flake off pretty easy with a saw. But that's not to say it's completely useless. Has anyone ever worked with this type of 'wood' before? I'm thinking for things like portraits, this stuff could work. What if it's stacked under some BB to help with the flaking? Would that work to make multiple portraits? I'm thinking of buying a door and breaking it down but could use some expert opinions first. What could be done to eliminate the flaking? What about finishing it? Would a proper varnish/laquer/stain/etc be able to make it not look like it came from a door?

I'm also thinking of doing some scrolling with used drawers and cabinet doors, because those things are like a buck each from there too.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow doors - A cheap source of wood blanks?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:26:35 pm »
Door skin material is about 1/8" thick and does not hold up real well for scrolling. (DAMHIKT) You can buy it in full sheets (4' x 8') and is fairly cheap. However, if you cut a door apart, I think you will find a bunch of short pieces glueing the two sides together much like a honey comb and after removing that, the back side will have glue and splinters all over it. I don't think you are going to like it but that does not stop you from trying it and see what you get. 
As far as using solid wood from various pieces of furniture, I think you are good to go. It seems to be a lot of trouble and hard work to me but, I grant you that it is cheaper than buying new wood and you can get some really nice pieces I expect.
Recycling old pallet wood seems to be the big thing in other types of wood working these days and if you have to time and tools to break up old pallets and cut and plane the wood to good sizes for use, there a lot of really nice things being made from it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Malistar22

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »
Thanks for the info Rog!

It probably is going to be way more hassle than it's worth, but I think I'm going to get one anyway and just try it out. I'd just be wasting my time playing a video game or something anyway so at least this way, I am learning what the inside of a door looks like :)

If I actually get anything good out of it, I'll be sure to post the final product(s).

~ David

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:48:42 pm »
The 'skin' on those hollow core doors is really cheap Luan veneer and I frankly don't think it will be worth all the effort.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:38 am »
A scroller friend told me the best kind of wood to scroll is free or cheap. Way back when the English apprentice cabinet makers would go through alleys and pick up discarded furniture. Take in home take them apart. Even de-laminate the veneers and build something with what they had just to learn their craft. Of course, furniture then was solid wood. But why not experiment. Because door skins are so thin you may try gluing up two or three layers [back to back or in odd count like plywood is glued up i.e. 3-5-7-9-11 plys.] As for the flaking, try using a single top layer w/pattern stacked on your good piece.  Personally I wouldn't try a project requiring spiral blades or patterns with a lot of close cuts. Remember - this is the fun part of this hobby - and we ALL make designer firewood at times.   

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:59:17 am »
Just my 2 cents.  I wonder if this wood would make good or decent backer boards.
ChelCass

sullycroller

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:59:42 am »
Just my 2 cents.  I wonder if this wood would make good or decent backer boards.
Judy i have used luan from Lowes for backer boards before and it works great. Painted black no one can tell what it is.

sully

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
I have used laun on a few things, takes some practice to cut it, its does wear blades out quick, does splinter and tear out easy, keep a good sharp blade and go slow. I liked using it for the natural red color rather than staining it red. I don't like to cover wood up with stain or paint.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:50 am »
I own a house that was build in 1959 and the doors back then were made of good ply (Rimu).
I de-constructed one that was was no longer required and it was excellent to scroll with.
The more modern day doors are crap and have honeycomb type cardboard on the interior, a real pain to separate.
So if you can find some older doors go for it.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

SMF

Teknoromi