Author Topic: Deeper drilling using a Dremel  (Read 1667 times)

Ohioweaver

Deeper drilling using a Dremel
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »
I have been doing compound cutting well but today I wanted to use a 2" block of basswood but ran into MPy Dremel can't drill through that size!  I tried to measure around to opposite side but after 3 times the holes wouldn't match.  Does Dremel make LONGER bits, what size will they'd drill through, etc.  HELP?  Diane

Mainewoods

Re: Deeper drilling using a Dremel
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 06:36:01 pm »
Diane, just because you're using a Dremel to drill with, doesn't mean you have to use their bits.  I don't know what size you're using, but any hardware store should have some longer ones.  My local ACE store has a good selection of bits, all the way down to a #70 if I remember right, and I rarely use anything that small.  Take a look around, I'm sure you can find something!

Good Luck!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:49:55 am »
The tiny ones rarely come in long lengths because they break so easily.  You can start your hole with the dremel bit and then drill with a bigger bit.  It will "chase" the hole you started with the dremel bit.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:41:05 pm »
I'm not sure how small they go but, I have a 6" long 1/8" drill bit, they are called "Jobbers length" bits. The one I have is made by Irwin and I think I got it at either Ace Hardware or Lowe's.
Hope that helps.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi