Author Topic: How to make more than one at a time  (Read 2779 times)

PoppaRob

How to make more than one at a time
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:06 am »
This just off/out of my head here folks,

I was just looking around reading a bit when I was wondering if there is a way to make more than one item at a time, how do you do it or is it something that is done,

Say I use a pattern of something but while cutting it out I am making more than one, say 2 or 3 even 4, is this possible, I am sure that size is a factor too, no way to clamp them to cut, lol

do you just use a big piece of wood and then cut it into thinner pieces,

Just thinking out loud, hope it made since to you, not sure it did to me,

Poppa Rob, unable to work today, had to much meds

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: How to make more than one at a time
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:43 pm »
Hey Rob just do a search on this forum for "stack cutting" there as been quite a few threads on this subject before i'm sure you will find a the info you on them.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:19:26 pm »
Hey Rob, I routinely cut several pieces at once. This is called stack cutting. You have to limit the thickness of your stack to a reasonable size though. When doing portraits, I can cut three or four layers of 1/8" Baltic birch plywood, or two or maybe three layers oh 1/4". You can stack cut any project as long as its not to thick. You also have to limit the thickness to the blade you are using. Typically, you want to use a larger blade for thicker wood, so if you are doing intricate fretwork, and using a #0/2 or #1 blade, you don't want to go any thicker than 1/2" or two layers of 1/4".
There are many ways to make up a stack, and you probably will get many ways to do this. I have two basic ways. If am cutting the projects from inside the stack, like ornaments, I use a hot glue gun to glue the outside edges of the stack. If the project uses the outside edges, I use blue painters tape on the outside edges.
So the answer to your question is Yes!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »
Rob

I have used many different ways to hold my stacks together. Stapler, pin nailer, double sided tape. I have used small screws put in wast areas. One time I even just held the two pieces by hand for a couple of cuts. Worked out OK, but would not recommend that. I have not tried hot glue yet but that is on my list.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

PoppaRob

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:53 am »
Hello and TY for the Replies,

Been down a bit, why i am not getting back so quick to the post, to much internet stuff and trying to rework my shop and hurting from it all, lol

So the term is Stacking, cool try to keep that in the mind for a few days, sounds to me i need to just do one at a time until I can do that then go on to 2 and so on, don't need to over try my limits when I still have not even done one pattern or tried to use the saw in that manner as of yet,

Now, so the thicker the wood the larger the bade, did not know that one, well one of many to come I should say, I did read and its in my plan to try and make each tool have its own little area with all the chit for it close so as to keep a better working environment and less loss of materials or parts, so i am thinking of an area of say 4' cube,

Thanks again for feed back, its light out so i need to get with it before the humidity get working with the sun if it comes out,

Poppa Rob, PS hoping to start taking pictures of the shed/shop soon if I can find the camera or i could use the cell if I can remember to take it out, lol

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »
Stack cutting is so nice.  Just use 2 - 4 layers so it ends up not too thick (1/2" is good).  You will find the stack has so much more stability than one thin layer, and when you are finished you have 2 to 3 items.  You will love it.

PoppaRob

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:58 am »
bettywood and all,

TY for the posts, I think most if not all of my projects will be 1/4" think or thicker, most will be for the scroll saw part just adding to my items I now make like names and art work or things people want on gun racks with or without coat hangers, small shelving and other items easily sold around here,

So from the post I m thinking when I do try to make more than one it will only be two, maybe after a bunch of working with the thing, 3

Again, TY all for the help, got to get out there before the sun hits, already 80 at 8 am,

Poppa Rob

mlwmerk

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:04:11 am »
My two cents worth regarding stack cutting.

I personally like to use the blue painters tape.  It seems to be removable at the end a lot easier than clear packing tape.  I need to use mineral spirits to remove the clear packing tape and the remaining glue residue.  Very messy.

I rough out how ever many blanks that I will need and then cover each side with the blue painter tape and then fasten the blanks together with a light coat of spray adhesive.  Be aware of the grain pattern and whichever side is inside and outside and which side will show.

After the stacked unit is glued together I mount the pattern on top of the stack and then cut the stack out. 

When finished I use a thin putty knife to carefully separate the layers between the blue tape.  The process leaves some blue tape on each item but it is easily removed. 

I then wipe each side down with a mineral spirits (paint thinner) soaked rag and let them dry.  I will sand each side with the ROS to remove any remaining stuff.

Works for me.

Walt in CT

SMF

Teknoromi