Author Topic: Picture frame making video  (Read 3607 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Picture frame making video
« on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »
A while ago I read a post, perhaps on this forum but perhaps not, with a link to a video of a guy making picture frames.  Instead of making 45 degree mitres, he overlapped the corners and cut a sort of squiggly line through both pieces.  The two pieces would then fit together and hold without glue.  But, glue was probably used in the final assembly.

Can anyone point me to this video?

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:55:52 am by jscott2 »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Picture frame making video
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:06 pm »
Found it, after I used the proper search terms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM-3BjC4quw

Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:56:12 am by jscott2 »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Picture fram making video
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:56:49 pm »
Cool Video!
I have used the technique of overlapping, cutting squiggles and gluing back together to create cool pieces of wood but never thought of it for a frame. This has so cool potential! please show pictures if you try this method.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:44:22 am »
Great video brilliant idea, but what is used to hold the peices together before he makes the first cut?
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:42:15 am »
I would use double stick tape or hot glue for the first cut.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:57:14 pm »
When I try it I'll try the double sided tape, I think the hot glue might damage the wood when it seperates.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:24:56 am »
I looked at the video's site www10.ocn.ne.jp/~kouzou/ - it's only in Japanese but if you copy the URL (www10.ocn.ne.jp/~kouzou/) into the Google search page and then in the search results select the "translate this page" option, you can look around his site.  Google automatically translates each page of the site as you click on it.  The translation is rough but you get the idea. 

He gives instructions and a video for his creations so you can get the idea.

I got a kick out of on of his toys (third column - A Simple Toy), but then I have a weird sense of humour. 

Have fun looking around, you may get some ideas.
Jim
PS
I'm working on a frame using his method and will report soon.
J

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:28:14 am »
Made a frame, as a test, using some scrap wood - that's why the surface looks rough. The layout lines were only a guide.  (Should have turned the frame over to hide the lines.)

I used an FD-UR #5 blade as that is what was in my saw.   

!!!  Correction - I used a FD-SR #7 blade - much larger than I thought.  Maybe that's the cause of the poor fit.   !!!

The joints are not very tight compared to the samples the Japanese scroller showed but I found a note on his site that he fills the gaps with wood flour (sawdust).

Most picture frames will be fairly thick, at least 1/2" so the combined cut would be 1" thick.  If anyone has any suggestions on getting a tighter fit, I'd be interested in their comments.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:54:54 am by jscott2 »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:02:22 am »
the big blade would cause some of your poor fit. the poor fit could also be caused by pushing the wood too much which flexes the blade and makes it not square to the table. practice should help give better joints.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:28:11 am »
mrsn, good point.  I just cut it quickly to see how it would work.  I did notice that some parts of the "joints" are  tight and others are loose - must have pushed sideways.

Jim

PoppaRob

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:08:57 am »
Hello group,

I came back in from reworking on the shed and saw this post, got all caught up in the site of the Japanese man site, wow, what a bunch of good info and other woodworking stuff to make and so on, lol

Anyway, the link at the top that will take you to his site is best viewed in the IE google translator, not the firefox google translator for some reason,

Just posting this if anyone wanted to go there and copy some of his chit on tools that you can make your self and how he has made some really good and easy things for what I can say I'll use and need later in general woodworking, the clamps and wood holders, the little bit about the working the scroll saw blades line up was good, just don't know if it pertains to my saw, if I ever look at it or use it i might know, lol, Still have the blade in it that came with it, Mike's 3 doz blades are just sitting there some were waiting to get with it, lol

Poppa Rob, break over, back to shed/shop

SMF

Teknoromi