Author Topic: Excalibur 21  (Read 4801 times)

chippygeoff

Excalibur 21
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:56:46 am »
Hi Everyone. This is my first post. I live in Wales in the UK. I would just like to share my experience with the ex-21. I bought the saw a few months back and initially things were fine but as the weeks went by problems started to occur. It just got worse and two weeks ago I could no longer use the saw. I had read so many glowing reports and reviews before i bought the saw but I just got a bad one. Considering the ex 21 was designed by the same guy that designed the Dewalt 788 I was surprised at the bad design of the blade clamps and lack of table length between the blade and the front of the table. The problems with my saw were beyond my expertise and I feel the problem was in the rods and the arms, to much play and not in line. The saw went back to the supplier over a week ago but I have lost my confidence in getting a replacement excalibur and I am looking at alternatives. I have a 788 and it is brilliant and cannot understand why the designer of the 788 did not use the same clamping system on the excalibur. Comments welcome. Geoff.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: Excalibur 21
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 08:44:20 am »
Morning Geoff,

Welcome aboard, drop by the Introduction area and let folks know about yourself.

I am sure you will generate some comment about the saw, I don't own one so can't say much more.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

Al from SD
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:48:39 am »
Hi Geoff,
 I also have an EX 21 and have also had alot of problems. Mine is out of the guarantee period but given it only gets very light use and is a top of the range machine I am dissapointed to say the least. I have spoken to Axminster who supplied the machine and got the luke warm response that if I return it (at my cost) they will "look at" it. Im not sure what "look at" it means. It clearly could be a good machine but I am forever taking mine to pieces trying to solve the awful noise it makes. I dont even bother putting the plastic cover screws back in place since I know I will be taking them out again ten minutes later.
 My Hegner on the other hand just purrs and never needs any attention.
I hope this helps.
Nick.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:39 am »
Well my 2cents worth is after many years Scrolling and 4 different brands and finally now using the Hegner it all boils down to you get buy the best Scrollsaw you can afford.  Been using my 18" Hegner for a couple years now and I just have to say it is the Catalack of Scrollsaws.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:21:14 am »
It is apparent that the Ex21 sold in Europe is not the same saw sold in North America.
It seems most folks in Europe are having problems with their saws. Most folks in North America are not having the same problems and are happy with them.
Dan In Southern California

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:00 pm »
I have a EX21 since the beginning of this year.
I scroll a lot, that means at least 2 to 3 hours a day, every day.
And i never had problems.
My machine is also an european type, from axminster.
But i have a feeling that it is somthing like cars.
Some people drive a car more then 10 years without any problem, and others drive the same car just from home to the garage and back.

I bought a few machines from axminster, and never had any problem with them.

Maybe i'm just lucky....

Greetings Glenn, Belgium

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:24 pm »
Hey Glenn, Just curious, how old is your saw?
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 03:27:38 am »
All the ex 21's are made in Asia to my understanding and you get a goody or a baddy, I had mine for 14 months before it gave problems and the franchise dealers say I don't know what I am talking  about when I say it vibrates after the repairs they did on it, SO at present i am stuck with it I am going to contact Seyco and hold them to their guarantee if it vibrates we will refund your  money, BUT I will not hold my breath
Jimbo

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
To DGman, I have my saw since end january this year, so only about 3 months "old".
But as i say, i use it a lot and i didn't have any problems (touch wood).
The wood i saw is most of the time 3/4" thick.
I only had a problem cutting oak, but that was almost 1 inch thick, so i'm not gonna do that again.
The blade was taking it's own route, i couldn't stay on the line.

Besides that, it's a very nice saw, and i'm very happy and busy with it.

I'll ask my dear wifey to resize some pictures so i can brag a bit...  ;D

ShadowB6

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:28 am »
I've had my EX21 now for 1 year this week and have not experienced the problem that is mentioned here. As for vibration, I can lay a Canadian Loonie on edge on my table top and run the saw from minimum speed to the max and the coin does not fall over. The only problem I'm incurring is that with severe temperature changes, my lifting arm will fall down by itself in extreme cold but is a lot more difficult to lift when the temperature starts to rise in the shop or as the saw starts to warm up. My shop is in an insulated garage but not heated all the time. So it must contract & expand with the temperature. That's the only thing I can figure out. So with this said, I have to constantly adjust the set screw on the side of the saw.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »
I have a EX21 since the beginning of this year.
I scroll a lot, that means at least 2 to 3 hours a day, every day.
And i never had problems.
My machine is also an european type, from axminster.
But i have a feeling that it is somthing like cars.
Some people drive a car more then 10 years without any problem, and others drive the same car just from home to the garage and back.

I bought a few machines from axminster, and never had any problem with them.

Maybe i'm just lucky....

Greetings Glenn, Belgium

40-695
20 in. Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Available April 2012

Electronic variable speed can be adjusted from 400-1,750 SPM for a wide array of cutting applications.
Unique dual parallel-link arm design reduces vibration and noise and keeps the blade perpendicular to the work surface which dramatically reduces over or under cutting, improving accuracy and quality.
Upper arm lifts and locks in the raised position during blade changes or while adjusting blade position for fret work.
On/Off switch, electronic variable speed dial, flexible dust blower and blade-tensioning lever are all conveniently located up front on the arm for easy accessibility.
Tool-free blade clamp allows for quick, easy blade changes in seconds.
Single lever, tool-free blade tensioning allows for quickly adjusting the blade to the proper tension which maximizes blade life and accuracy.
Large, cast-iron table provides excellent material support and bevels 0? - 45? left and right.
On-tool blade storage area provides neat, organized protection for scroll saw blades. ? Flexible work light illuminates the work surface for improved visibility.
Heavy duty, all-steel stand with adjustable rear leg has been redesigned to improve stability during operation and allows for safely adjusting the product angle to user preference for added comfort and improved ergonomics.

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »
To Cyberghost.
Is this machine also for sale in Europe?

Not that i want to swap it for my EX 21, (i'm to happy with my machine) but a lot of scrollsaws that are for sale in USA are not for sale in Europe.
For example, i can't buy a dewalt here.

Greetings Glenn, Belgium

SMF

Teknoromi